This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Intersectional feminism is a word that is too often misunderstood and ignored. Women tend to refer to themselves as being just feminists, but feminism is not as inclusive of a word as one might assume. Feminism seems to only reflect the experiences of white, middle-class, cisgendered, able-bodied white women.  Obviously, this is not representative of other types of women. Language is constantly evolving, so keeping up with appropriate terms that reflect the experiences of more than just privileged women is crucial.

Many tend to misunderstand what the term feminism means, so it is no wonder that intersectional feminism is overlooked. Feminism is often seen as a means for women to attack males by gaining higher status than them in society, but this is far from what the term truly encompasses. Feminism focuses on advancing social, political, economic, and personal rights for women in society. While feminism does push for equal rights for men and women, it is not synonymous with tearing down men in order to advance rights for women.

With a greater understanding of feminism, intersectional feminism can become a term that all individuals in society can grasp. Intersectionality allows women with different experiences to come together and find constructive ways to improve their understandings of one another. A common misconception about intersectional feminism is that one must have all the answers and be well-versed in order to be taken seriously. While this may be true, those who are constantly asking questions in order to comprehend the female experience also deserve praise. Curiosity and genuine interest are crucial in creating a constructive, educational environment for those who wish to align themselves with intersectional feminists. 

An English and Communications Major who is passionate about creating and reading literature.
Augustana Contributor