How to Stay Mindful during Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Ahh, week 7. We’ve passed the halfway point of the term, and I know that around this time all I can think about are my plans for fall break. Most of us have been on campus for a full month, at the least. Homesickness has begun to hit, and that makes it hard to focus in class. When all you can think about is getting this term over with, you find it difficult to be present during your lectures. Here are some tips that I have learned to help stay fully immersed in my classes.

Stop Using Your Phone Before Class

I know, I know. I’m not here to complain about how “millennials are glued to their cell phones.” I use mine just as often as the rest of us, and probably more than I should. But, I have found that I focus much better when I put my phone away as soon as I get into the classroom. If you arrive early for class, instead of scrolling through Twitter or sending some last minute Snapchats, take the time to review your notes. Look at the last topic you covered- this brief review will help you get ready to jump back into a subject.

Give Yourself Mental Breaks

With a fully packed schedule, it can be nearly impossible to give your brain the time it needs to recharge. Especially if you have classes back to back, the 15 minutes of time between is not enough to recharge. The best way to keep yourself from being distracted is to walk around before class. Whether that means taking a stroll down the Slough Path, or just a quick jaunt to the drinking fountain, it is good to get out of the classroom for a moment. After sitting for an hour, it helps to let your legs stretch out and get a few minutes out of your seat.

Stop Using Your Laptop for Notes

I’m sure you have all had a teacher who lamented the use of laptops, citing the fact that some students may start browsing the web in class. Even if you are not that type of person, and you use your laptop solely to take notes, it may still be a distraction. There are pop-up notifications, battery life to fuss over, and weak WiFi signals to cause frustration. Sure, it’s nice to type a few words on the Powerpoints that your teacher uploaded, and it may save you some paper, but you might find that taking notes on paper is more effective. Writing words down can make them stick in your memory better than typing them.

Meditate Before Class Starts

Meditation is one of the most helpful tools for creating focus and mindfulness. I’m not implying that you should sit on the floor and repeat a mantra for an hour, although that can be relaxing and helpful too. Meditating can be as simple as closing your eyes, planting your feet squarely on the floor, and taking a few deep breaths before a class starts. Let your mind clear and breathe until your lungs are filled completely. Stop thinking about whatever you were doing before, or what you will be doing later. Forcing yourself to slow your thoughts and control your breathing can clear your mind, and make you ready to start a new task.

Senior at Augustana College. Biochemistry and Psychology Major. Proud Feminist. Third Year with Her Campus. 
Lu is a senior at Augustana College majoring in Graphic Design. She is a Co-Editor in Chief of the Augustana Observer and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana.