To the Girl That Says Feminism Isn’t Her Thing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

To the girl that says “I don’t need feminism”, you are wrong. Yep, wrong. You do need feminism. We all need feminism. Now by feminism I mean equality (I know the definition can be used incorrectly). Now you may not “need” feminism directly in your life.

You are living nicely going to a college by being able to freely choose your classes to advance your education. You get to freely dress yourself and walk to class as your parents send you a good luck text message for your final exams. You don’t experience having to be married as a child, being sold as a sex slave, becoming a pimp’s 3rd favorite girl. You don’t get denied education. You don’t have to worry about your husband forbidding you to travel. You don’t get denied to participate and engage in politics. You don’t have to skip school so you may stay at home and help mom with your siblings and chores. You don’t have your clothing be chosen by society. You don’t have to worry about your privates getting cut off. You don’t have to worry about facing death if you accidentally get pregnant. You don’t get denied the ability to drive. You don’t have to worry about not being able to divorce your abuse husband. But something you don’t realize is that your life does need feminism. You have a higher chance of gettng raped and suffering from domestic assault than your chances of getting cancer or getting into a car accident. You have a 20% chance to get sexually assaulted as you walk home from your college campus library.

Think about that next time you have the privilege to drive to Taco Bell after you just got done complaining to your friend about your college classes for the day.

Junior at Augustana College. Majoring in Political Science, Psychology, and Chemistry and a focus in Pre-Law.
Augustana Contributor