Five Things You Should Know Before Watching a Bollywood Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Are you looking for something new to watch on Netflix? Instead of re-watching a movie or simply wallowing in your lack of entertainment, consider watching a Bollywood movie! With bright characters, complex plots, and songs that will make you want to get up dance, Bollywood movies have a lot to offer!

Here are five things to keep in mind before you embark on a Bollywood binge.

1. Khan is King 

Renowned Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan has been in over eighty movies. He has won fourteen Filmfare Awards, eight of which were for Best Actor. Along with a successful film career, SRK owns a cricket team and has done extensive philanthropic work. He was the first global ambassador of the Water Supply and Sanitation Council and was the first Indian to receive UNESCO’s Pyramide con Marni award.With this, his winning charm, amazing acting chops, and overall commitment to the greater good, Shahrukh Khan has truly lived up to his role as the King of Bollywood.

2. Anupam Kher is in every Bollywood movie ever

As you watch more and more Bollywood movies, you’ll start to find a familiar face in almost all of them. That is Anupam Kher. Perfect for almost any role as a father, a fun uncle, or a hilarious supporting character, Kher is one of Bollywood’s greatest gems. He has been in five hundred films, including the Oscar-winning movie Silver Linings Playbook. Before his big break, Kher was a young struggling actor, but now he has risen to become one of the most successful Bollywood icons.

3. You’re basically watching a movie-musical mash-up

Bollywood’s trademark for its movies is fitting in musical sequences within the plot. The couple just fell in love? The whole town will dance together for a song. The heroine is being introduced? Let’s play a five-minute song about how awesome she is. Though constant musical interruptions may seem annoying at first, a Bollywood movie is never perfectly complete without singing and dancing. And who knows? Maybe you’ll find your jam for the new year in the midst of a movie!

4. Start with the classics

Though newer Bollywood movies are definitely more influenced by Western culture, it’s hard to beat the classics. With their pure love stories and iconic songs, it’s hard to ignore the foundation of Bollywood. Films like Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, and Devdas are always a great way to get an introduction to Bollywood and its most prominent actors and actresses as they bring out the core plot points and values you find almost all Bollywood movies.

5. Just go with the flow

The logistics of a Bollywood movie never really make sense. Yes, she’s wearing a skimpy, silk sari in the middle of snow filled slopes and yes, he just kicked that goon thirty feet in the air. Regardless of what Bollywood movie you watch, you will always have those “What just happened?!” moments, and the key to enjoying the movie is to just go along with it.

Bollywood is a hidden treasure that many people don’t know about. As you look for new interests in the new year, consider immersing yourself in the beauty and richness of Bollywood. Whether you’re trying to learn to “toomka” or you’re looking for a new movie genre, Bollywood will show you the ups and downs of love, ambition, youth, adventure, and life.

Ila Mostafa is currently a Neuroscience major and Biology minor at Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois. She enjoys reading, writing, and spending time with her family. She is usually either starting a new story without finishing an older one or studying. Ila hopes to go to graduate school and eventually do research on Parkinson's Disease.
Augustana Contributor