The Best Routine for a Late Night and Early Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

As a college student, late nights followed by an early morning are inevitable. No matter how much you tell yourself to get some sleep, you’re still up until the wee hours of the night. Of course, trying to get up the next morning to make your 8:30 AM seems impossible. Though it may not be possible to simply go to bed earlier, it is possible to adapt a healthier routine to make your mornings—and the rest of your day—much easier to get through

For the night before: 

1.  Drink tea instead of coffee   

While coffee and other caffeinated drinks may seem like a go-to to stay up late, they are not the healthiest choice nor will they help you out as much the next morning; they will probably make it harder for you to go to sleep when you’re ready to do so. Tea is a great, healthy alternative. Studies have shown that certain teas can lower the risks of heart disease and diabetes, and lower stress and cholesterol levels. A non-caffeinated tea like will be great de-stresser as you begin your work while caffeinated tea can give you that boost you’ll need while still calming you down.

2. Eat simple, healthy snacks

It’s tempting to reach for the ramen, macaroni and cheese, or the pack of pizza flavored Pringles you’ve been waiting to open up as an indulgent, late-night snack, but they may not be the best decisions. Heavy late night snacks like ramen and mac and cheese fill you up and make you sleepier. It’s best to reach for snacks like carrot sticks, apples with peanut butter, pita chips, nuts, or dried fruits to keep you energized and full.

3. Change your habits when taking a break

Giving your brain frequent breaks is important to be productive without getting burned out. When taking breaks, try not to lie down to close your eyes “for just a sec” or instantly spend time on your phone. You’ll only feel more tired, or you may go to sleep without getting all of your work done. In times like these, try walking around your dorm room or stretching. Being mobile can help you relax and make you feel a bit more energized as you start another long period of time working.

For the morning after and the rest of the day:

1. Get a quick and healthy breakfast

Usually it’s hard to get breakfast after a late night because you’re trying to get as much sleep as you can. Though I (and I’m sure everyone else too) has heard this over and over again: breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. A healthy (and hearty) breakfast can give you energy and keep you full until you get a chance to get lunch. Overnight oats are great for an early morning because you can quickly whip them up the night before and grab them on your way out in the morning. The basic overnight oats recipe calls for rolled oats, milk, nuts, cinnamon (or other spices you like), and sweetener. There are plenty of ways to spice up your overnight oats by adding chocolate, peanut butter, honey, or your favorite type of fruit.

2. Stay hydrated

It may seem arbitrary, but water is really important for your early morning. Dehydration can lead to increased fatigue, so it’s important to drink plenty of water, especially if you’re running on very little sleep. The best way to do this is to make sure you constantly have access to water whether it’s the drinking fountain or a water bottle of your own.

Though late nights and early mornings are normal in a college setting, they are never easy to get used to, However, healthy drinks and snacks along with a great breakfast can give you a proper, healthy boost to make it through!

Ila Mostafa is currently a Neuroscience major and Biology minor at Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois. She enjoys reading, writing, and spending time with her family. She is usually either starting a new story without finishing an older one or studying. Ila hopes to go to graduate school and eventually do research on Parkinson's Disease.
Augustana Contributor