The Best Episodes of New Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

After seven seasons, New Girl is ending on May 15th. What began as a corny sitcom has become something with a lot of heart. Jess Day, the leading lady, has grown from a dorky girl into a proudly feminist woman. The show has had a revolving cast of characters, but friendship remains the central theme. In honor of the series finale next week, I have rounded up the best episodes from the series.

Season 1 Bells 

When I watched New Girl, this episode was one of the first times I remember realizing just how deeply the gang cared for Jess. They hadn’t known each other long, and even found her annoying, but they were still willing to do a lot ot make her happy. Not only was this episode hilarious, with Winston turning out to be a hand bell prodigy, but it is a great episode to show how close this group of friends will become.

Season 2 Menzies 

This episode is one of the funniest episodes of the show. In this episode, Nick meets Tran, who becomes his best friend—despite the fact that he almost never talks. Somehow, when talking to Tran, Nick is always able to work out his problems. Also in this episode, Winston thinks he shares Jess’s PMS, and Jess struggles with her job search.

Season 3 Birthday 

Jess and Nick are finally together, and they spend Jess’s birthday together. Jess assures everyone that she doesn’t care about her birthday, she just wants to go to the movies by herself like she does every year. Nick plans her a surprise party, but forgets to plan anything to keep her occupied during the day. She gets upset and goes to the movies—only to find that Nick has set up an elaborate party for her there. It’s one of the sweetest moments between Jess and Nick, and one of my favorite moments of the show.

Season 4 Clean Break 

After dating May for a few months, Coach decides he is going to move to New York with her. The season 4 finale is his last day in the loft with the gang, and it is also the emotional reunion of Schmidt and Cece. In this episode, we learn what Schmidt said the first time he ever saw Cece: “Girl, Imma marry you.” After many ups and downs in their relationship, Cece and Schmidt finally get engaged, and no one is happier than Jess. This episode is so sweet and happy; I can’t help but tear up whenever I watch it.

Season 5 Landing Gear

A year after their engagement, the day of Cece and Schmidt’s wedding has finally arrived. Cece is heartbroken because she never got her mother’s blessing for the wedding. Schmidt makes a last ditch effort to get Cece’s mom on board—and ends up getting stuck on a plane the entire day. He misses his own wedding, and they throw the reception with Schmidt attending through Facetime. Cece’s mom appears at the wedding. She was convinced to attend because Schmidt had called her every day for a year to leave her voice mails about how deeply he loved Cece. This is a great episode that lets everyone know that Schmidt, despite his bravado, genuinely loves Cece with all his heart.

Season 6 Five Stars for Beezus

Three seasons after Jess and Nick broke up, they are still dancing around the subject of their relationship. Both of them have had residual feelings for each other, but their timing has never worked. It’s been clear to the audience that they belong together, and in this episode, they finally reunite. In the last few minutes of the season finale, Jess runs to Nick and kisses him. Every time I hear Lorde’s “Green Light,” I think of this moment from the show.

Senior at Augustana College. Biochemistry and Psychology Major. Proud Feminist. Third Year with Her Campus. 
Allyson Jesse is a senior at Augustana College studying English and Creative Writing. She enjoys poetry too much for her own good and spends her free time finding symbolism in everyday objects. Bunnies are by far her favorite animal and her most far-fetched dream is to own a bunny farm one day. More realistically, she hopes that after college she will be able to work in the magazine realm where she can inspire people to add more creativity to their lives.