This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Mark your calendars ladies: Mother’s Day is May 13th! Our mothers and mother figures are worth celebrating any chance we get. I often feel like I’ll never be able to repay my mom for all that she’s given me, but I sure can try. If your mom is hard to shop for, or you don’t have money to spend, here are some great and affordable ways to tell mom you love her.

Playlists

The first step to this idea might be teaching your mom how to use Spotify or Apple Music… but if that’s out of the question, burn a CD if you must. I don’t know if my mom likes my music or just pretends to, but I do know she loves music that’s fun to work out to. Think about when your mom likes listening to music the most and make her the perfect playlist for it!

Outdoor Activities

Take advantage of the things you might already have, but don’t often use. Plan a bike ride on a local trail you’ve never been to, make games on the driveway out of chalk, whip out the frisbee… set up a whole family tournament!

Photo Shoot

This one might seem narcissistic, but it’s totally thoughtful. Ask any of your artistic friends, neighbors, or even your father if they will take an hour out of their day to photograph you with your siblings or other family members. They don’t have to be taken with a professional camera or get printed anywhere too fancy, as long as they’re full of smiles. Besides, what does a mom love more than her kids (when they’re getting along)?

Makeover

This one isn’t for everybody, but it’s perfect if your mom likes wearing makeup and you have some good tips and tricks to show her. Offer her a makeover for a night out, and teach her why you like the products you’re using along the way.

Spring Cleaning

A lot of us have certain areas of the house that never get cleaned up. Whether it be your garage, kitchen drawers, or spare closets, plan a day to help tidy up the house. Turn up some good music and make it fun!

Relaxation Day

Spend time making some DIY scrubs, oils, or masks, and draw mom a warm bath. When she’s done, offer to paint her nails or put on her favorite television show. If you have some cash to spend, what would be more fun than getting matching pajamas to lounge around in?

Anything Thoughtful

It truly is the thought that counts. You know your mom better than I do. Think about the conversations you have with her, what makes her the best, things she enjoys but doesn’t have a lot of time for, or what her ideal day looks like. Write her a poem, a card, or draw her a picture. At the very least, tell her you love her.

Rachel is a junior at Augustana college majoring in English. She is newly involved in writing and editing at Her Campus, a college buddy in the Best Buddies program, and won first place this year in College of Dupage's Writers Read creative writing contest for her piece "Finding a Voice".
Augustana Contributor