This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

So it is the second half of spring term and I think we are all in a similar place. We are all ready, really ready, for summer. But with midterms behind us, we still have four more weeks and finals before we can reach that blissful carefree time. Here are my tips for survival:

1. Phone a friend

Most of us procrastinate in some way. For some people, it means watching Netflix, for other people it means completing minute chores. But we all do it. With finals on the horizon, the workload will be piling up and with the warm weather, maybe, approaching that work looks less and less appetizing. My suggestion: phone a friend. Agree with your friend that you will both work on one thing and schedule a check-in time to see if you have finished that thing. You will keep each other accountable and you can plan a fun reward for after your work is finished!

2. Talk to your professor

Spring term can be really overwhelming. If you are truly at capacity with homework and can’t get something done talk to your professor BEFORE the assignment is due. Many professors are really understanding and will give you an extension. But it is important that you plan ahead and don’t email the professor the night before something big is due.

3. Use your planner

I am definitely guilty of starting a planner at the beginning of the year and slowly forgetting to fill stuff in as time goes on. But that is when I start forgetting stuff and not getting my work done. Don’t be me. Use your planner. Your mind will feel so much more clear without trying to hold homework assignments in it. If you don’t have a planner, use a piece of paper or your phone, anything to write down the stuff you have to do.

4. Take breaks, but not too many breaks

Doing homework for 5 hours straight is not good for anyone. Build time for breaks into your schedule and be strict with yourself about taking them. But don’t let your breaks get out of control. I would suggest filling up your water bottle, printing something, or getting a snack, anything that gets you out of your chair. Set a time limit for how long your break will be. I am very familiar with the five-minute break that turns into three hours. Once again, don’t be me.

5. Try to remember that you are not perfect

As the term is winding down and the work is building up, often we don’t have the time to put 100% into everything we do. That can be really hard to accept, especially if you are a perfectionist like me. I know that the only way I am going to make it through the rest of this year is if I give myself a break and remember that I am doing my best. If you can accept that all you can do is your best, your best is often much better than you thought!

And remember only 4 more weeks! Good Luck!

Augustana Contributor