This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

1. We do, in fact, have souls.

Contrary to popular belief, influenced by South Park, having red hair does not affect the existence of a soul. It was joke that was never really funny to us, except maybe the video of the kid screaming about it, but hair color does not change our souls. Luckily, the jokes seems to have died down a bit.

2. We are unique, but not all of us are alike.

Uniqueness can sometimes be mistaken as weird or different, but in reality, we are a group of people who make up 2% of the world’s population. That being said, most people believe redheads to have green eyes, pale skin, and lots of freckles. While this is true for some redheads, not all share these features. I, for example, have blue eyes, and very few freckles.

3. Ariel and Merida are our spirit princesses.

Obviously this isn’t true for all redheads, but for me it’s true. While Apple has yet to come out with a redhead emoji, Disney has two very different, very lovable redhead princesses with blue eyes. I loved Ariel for that reason alone, and when Merida came along with the uncontrollable, curly mane, I was sold.

4. We have a super power.

Okay, it’s not really a super power, but redheads, generally, need more anesthesia than people with other hair colors. 20% more to be exact. Researchers have found that redheads have a lower pain tolerance due to the gene mutation that causes red hair.

5. Everyone needs a redhead best friend.

It’s a cool trait to have, but it’s even cooler when you can tell people your best friend is a redhead. Also, we are pretty easy to spot in a crowd, so it’s hard to lose us.

Michele is a junior at Augustana College majoring in both English and Creative Writing with a minor in Religion. She is involved in SAGA: Augustana's art and literary magazine, and is a member of Augustana's local social sorority Zeta Phi Kappa. She contributes to Her Campus as a writer.
Augustana Contributor