bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Summer Health Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Summer is slowly (but surely) approaching. Some of us are looking to get that beach bod or simply use it as a time to transition into a healthier lifestyle after those 1am stress-eating Flavor Blasted Goldfish school nights. Here are some simple ways on how you can make small lifestlye changes that will make a lasting impact on your health and wellbeing.

Drink more water. Yes, you’ve heard it a million times. But really, it does make a difference. Water is good for your skin, your kidneys, and muscles. And if you don’t believe me, check out WebMD’s 6 Reasons to Drink Water. Not only is it great for your body, but also your wallet. Imagine how much money you’d save every time you go out to eat and order a FREE water instead of a $3 soda. 

Sleep normally. Finally, school is over and you have time to sleep. While it may be tempting to stay up all night and Netflix and sleep during the day, it’s really better for your body to sleep in alignment with its natural circadian rhythm. Circadian rhythm is influenced by light, so when it’s dark, your brain makes more melatonin to make you go to sleep. Don’t disregard your body’s natural forces!!! Also, if you do workout or go for a long run or hard lift, sleep is when your body recovers properly from those physical exertions–so it’s important.

Cut out processed foods. I know, it sounds hard. But cutting out those Cheese Its and switching to trail mix, full of nuts + raisins will make a difference. Processed foods have a lot of addatives in them like preservatives and extra fats and sugars. Because of this and their low nutritional value, they make you feel crummy after a couch + potatoe chip sesh. 

Start running/lifting. As a track-thlete, yes, I am very bias towards running. But, running requires no equipment, you can wear most anything, and it’s free. All you need is that first step and you’re on your way. Even if it’s just a short 10 minute run or a mile run or whatever–you have to start somewhere. I never would have thought I would be running in college, but it all started with putting myself out there, wanting to get in shape and be active. If cardio isn’t your thing, join a local gym and start lifting. Lifting never really appealed to me until one day I just decided, hey, I should try this. And since then, I really enjoy it. It’s a great way to build muscle, but also build confidence. Sure it’s a little embarassing when you’re a freshman and can barely squat the bar in the Luther weight room while the wrestler next to you is squatting like 300000lbs, but like anything, it takes time. When you can see the progress in more heavier weights or more defined muscles, it really pays off and makes it all worth it. 

Get out and explore. Not only is hiking and exploring good for your physical health, but also your mental health. Taking time out in nature can be so peaceful and medatative–plus summer is great weather to do so. If you’re in the QCA this summer, there are some cool places like Blackhawk State Park in Rock Island and Vander Veer Botanical Park in Davenport. If you’re really feeling adventurous, Muscatine, IA (about 40 minutes west) I would highly suggest Wildcat Den State Park; a great place for hiking and camping. Wherever you find yourself this summer, get out, have fun, and explore–and don’t forget your water bottle!!

Lu is a senior at Augustana College majoring in Graphic Design. She is a Co-Editor in Chief of the Augustana Observer and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana.