5 Albums You Should Listen to Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Odesza’s A Moment Apart

Best known for their song “Sun Models,” Odesza’s music is likely to put you in a carefree, joyful trance. Their new album, A Moment Apart, consists of 16 songs meaning there is such a variety on this album that it would be hard to not find at least one song you like. The thing I took note of was the features they included. Considering Odesza is an electronic group, I was surprised to see features from a jazz artist, Leon Bridges, and an indie pop singer, Regina Spektor. These are two genres I did not particularly expect to mesh well with electronic but plot twist…they do and these songs are two of my favorites. I recommend listening to A Moment Apart in one sitting, from start to finish. The album will take you to a whole different world where your worries and problems seem distant.

Genre: Electronic

Similar To:  Flume, Snakehips, Glass Animals

Personal Favorites: Across The Room, Just A Memory, Higher Ground

Anna Of The North’s Lovers

Lovers is Anna Of The North’s debut album as an artist and it does not disappoint. You may recognize her voice from Tyler The Creator’s recent songs, “Boredom” and “9/11 / Mr. Lonely.”  Her voice is distinct, one that is not easy to forget. The overall sound of the album is very fun and makes you want to go out and dance with your girlfriends. However, the overarching theme of the album is heartbreak. Anna was going through heartbreak while she was in the process of making the album. There is a strong connection between all the songs because of this. So, Lovers may be a good one to listen to if you are experiencing something similar. If not, it still is a great album to jam to.

Genre: Electropop

Similar To: Phoebe Ryan, Grace Mitchell, Kacy Hill

Personal Favorites: Moving On, Lovers, Always

The National’s Sleep Well Beast

The National is a band I listen to quite frequently and my favorite thing about them is the way in which you can feel such intense emotion through their music. Not having released an album for 4 years, I was anxious to give Sleep Well Beast a listen. It was definitely well worth the wait. Lead singer, Matt Berninger, has a haunting but at the same time, soothing, voice that pulls you in and has you wanting to listen for more. With song titles like “I’ll Still Destroy You” and “The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness,” it’s clear this album tells a story of rage and angst.

Genre: Indie Rock

Similar To: Fleet Foxes, The Shins, Band of Horses

Personal Favorites: Turtleneck, Guilty Party, Dark Side of the Gym

Angus and Julia Stone’s Snow

You may know Angus & Julia Stone for their popular song, “Big Jet Plane,” but if you’ve never listened to a full album of theirs, their newest, Snow, is a good place to start. Consisting of two Australian siblings, Angus & Julia Stone have truly mastered the art of harmony. Their voices go together like peanut butter and jelly and leads to a gentle and calming sound that brings you to a place of peace. The dreamy melodies on their album will have you in a content, happy state. Angus & Julia Stone is one to turn on when you are feeling anxious, overwhelmed or stressed as their music feels like prancing through a field of flowers.

Genre: Folk, Indie pop

Similar To: The Paper Kites, James Vincent McMorrow, Benjamin Francis Leftwich

Personal Favorites: Snow, My House Your House, Sylvester Stallone

The Killer’s Wonderful Wonderful 

Considering The Killers’ last album, Battle Born, was released in 2012, Wonderful Wonderful is something many of us were patiently waiting for. It can be quite nerve wrecking listening to the new album of an artist that hasn’t released one in a significant amount of time because you worry about how their sound may have changed. I was pleased to be reminded of why I love The Killers and their music as I took the time to listen to Wonderful Wonderful. While no song can compare to “Mr. Brightside” or “When You Were Young,” there are still many songs on the album with the potential to be something great. Brandon Flowers’s voice is just as lovely as it was 5 years ago.

Genre: Alternative rock

Similar To: MGMT, Vampire Weekend, The Kooks

Personal Favorites: Have All The Songs Been Written?, Life To Come, Tyson vs Douglas

Sierra is a senior majoring in English and minoring in Communication Studies at Augustana College. She is a member of the Chi Alpha Pi sorority, the Cross Country and Track teams, and is the senior editor for Augustana's chapter of Her Campus.
Augustana Contributor