jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Need to Get Over Him

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

When you first read the title of this article, I’m sure the name and image of a certain someone appeared in your head. Well, here are three words that may sound harsh, but are meant for your own good…get. over. him. No matter if it’s our friends telling us this or ourselves, those words are definitely easier said than done. How is it possible to get over his charming looks, contagious smile and one-of-a-kind personality?! Surely there can’t be anyone else on this earth of 7 billion people that would be as perfect as him? The truth is that there isn’t anyone else exactly like him, but don’t burst into tears just yet because there are thousands of people out there who would be just as perfect for you in their own ways. First, you need to move past the one who you can’t seem to get over. So stop listening to Taylor Swift heartbreak songs for just one second and see why you need to get over him already. 

You deserve better

In your head, you built up this guy to be perfect, but somehow you’ve ended up broken-hearted and confused while he seems to be doing just fine. He may be ignoring you completely, or he may be playing with your feelings by sending random Snapchats of he and his new friend, who just so happens to be a girl. Don’t let him do that to you, because you deserve better. You deserve someone who respects you instead of doing things you’ve asked him not to do. You deserve someone who holds you when you cry instead of making you cry. You deserve someone who puts time and effort into your relationship instead of putting it on the back burner. You deserve someone who chooses to love everything about you, including your flaws. 

You’re only holding yourself back

While you’re dabbing the tears from your eyes, he more than likely hasn’t thought of you and if he has, it has only been a fleeting thought. There is nothing wrong with being sad or crying over a heartbreak, but there comes a time when you have to tell yourself to move on. Stop stalking him on social media. In fact, unfollow him from all social media accounts if that’s what it takes to start moving on. You have so much to offer the world and people around you, but you aren’t able to do that when all your focus is on him and what used to be. Be a fighter. Be strong. Be independent. Don’t hold yourself back from what you are capable of being and becoming. Remember that once you break free from your past and focus on the present you clear yourself a path for a bright future.

Being single is a time to focus on you

Being in a relationship is awesome, but that doesn’t mean being single sucks. Embrace your singleness! This is a time to learn about yourself, develop new passions and discover your purpose. Don’t allow the thought of him bring you down anymore. Spend time with old friends and go places to make new friends. Write down goals you have for your life and what you can do to accomplish them. Go on road trips and check things off your bucket list. Learn to love all of your imperfections and be completely confident in yourself and your abilities. Eventually thoughts about him will stop clouding your mind, and then at a time you least expect it, someone will come into your life who will show you the true definition of love.

A few of my favorite things: cookies, traveling, people, and spontaneous adventures.