stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Eating; it’s one of the most important activities for lots of people. There’s so much variety when it comes to food. Are you gonna eat healthy? Will your meal be colorful? How about a meal full of carbs? Plainly, the possibilities are endless.

What about when it’s time to feed your dog? Some may think, “I mean, it’s a dog, does he even care about the variety in his bowl?” Actually, your dog would eat anything –even those comfy slippers of yours (as you probably already know)! Whether your dog eats slippers or not, you should still care about what nutrients are in his bowl.

Put yourself in your dog’s prospective. Imagine only being able to eat one thing for the rest of your life… I mean, even if it is your favorite food, could you eat it all the time? Every. Single. Day. Three times a day. Now do you see how your dog feels?

It’s not all about the fact that we need to add a little “pizzazz” to their diet, it’s also about giving our pets the right vitamins and nutrients they desire. Surprisingly, many of the foods healthy for you are just as healthy for your dog. Dogs need an unbiased amount of variety in their diets too. Crunchy, brown kibble cannot account for all of the necessary nutrients your furry friend needs to live a long, healthy life.

Some brands of kibble are no doubt better than others, but the best brand isn’t the best brand. The best brand of food for your pet can be found right in your kitchen.

In choosing the best kibble, Acana Heritage Meats Formula has proven to be the best for our four legged friends because it is grain-free and rich in real protein (not plant protein). Meat is the most important thing in a dog’s diet because that is what their bodies are able digest most naturally. Acana has 60% of meat with a variety of beef, pork and lamb, along with 40% of fruits and veggies.

Below is a list of foods from your kitchen that you and your dog can eat together to endure that both you and your furry friend get the most nutritional value. Keep in mind that all of these foods have benefits for dogs, but it is important to note that these foods should be consumed in moderation. One difference about your food and your dog’s food is that dogs do not need all of the fancy dressings and savory seasonings like we love to enjoy. The blander, the healthier.

• Apples (no seeds) –Vitamins A and C

• Bananas –potassium, biotin

• Cashews –antioxidants

• Cooked chicken (no bones)/Raw chicken (bone in) –protein

• Cheese –protein, calcium

• Carrots –high fiber, vitamin A

• Eggs (cooked or raw) –biotin, protein, selenium

• Mangoes –Vitamins A, B6, and E

• Oatmeal –high fiber

• Peanut butter –vitamins A and E, protein

• Potatoes –iron

• Salmon (cooked only) –omega- 3 fatty acids

• Sweet potatoes –high fiber, vitamin A

Happy eating, for you and your furry friend!

I am a student at Auburn University double majoring in Biomedical Sciences, with a focus in pre-pharmacy and French. I am from Marietta, Georgia and for hobbies I enjoy baking, shopping, and writing!
Cathlene is a senior studying journalism and women's studies at Auburn University. She has been a part of Her Campus Auburn for three years and is in her first year as Campus Correspondent. When she isn't studying and working on Her Campus, she enjoys baking desserts, reading young adult fiction and watching Netflix (mainly Friends, The Office and The Great British Baking Show). Some of her favorite things include Disney, desserts and fluffy animals to cuddle. Cathlene aspires to write for a magazine once she graduates and hopefully move back to Los Angeles.