A Veteran’s Tips: 5 Ways to Get the Most out of Your Music Fest Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

The first time I went to a music festival I had no idea what to expect. I drove up to Manchester, Tennessee in my packed-to-the-gills car to go to Bonnaroo and see some of my favorite bands. Music festivals, like everything in life, have a learning curve. Here are five veteran tips on how to make the most of your music festival!

Plan ahead…

Do your homework before you head out. Find out when the bands you want to see are playing and make your schedule. In addition, make a packing list and print a map of the festival area. These items are essential!

But go with the flow

You can plan every minute of your festival, but ultimately things will happen. Flexibility is essential; bands will play late, lines are long, and festivals are huge. Don’t be afraid to ditch your plans for something new! Sometimes the best experiences are unplanned.

Pace yourself

Music festivals are exciting, fun, and occasionally overwhelming. The first day it can be tempting to go all-out and get a little too crazy. It’s important to pace yourself through the days of the festival. Take care of yourself to make sure you can enjoy every moment. Drink lots of water (especially if you’re drinking alcohol as well) and get some sleep every night.

Try something new

Every festival has unique options for fun. At Bonnaroo, there is a cinema tent, comedy tent, and countless workshops for when you need a break from the music. Look at your festival’s website to see what other activities are going on. Music festivals are a time to be adventurous!

Make memories

Live in the moment. Dance and sing your heart out. Take way too many pictures and make new friends. It may only be a couple days, but it will feel like much longer. Don’t spend the days alone in your tent!

(Image credit: Leah Burns for cover image and pictures 1,2, 4, 5)

Leah is an upcoming senior studying Biomedical Sciences at Auburn University. She hopes to work in the medical field and travel around the world. At Auburn, she is the President of Delta Epsilon Iota, Vice President of Gamma Beta Phi, and Assistant Director of Films for University Programs Council. She spends her time quoting movies she’s never seen, making up catchphrases, and petting all the animals she can get her hands on. She still believes that “fetch” can happen.