Top 10 Looks from New York Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Eight days and thousands of outfits later, New York Fashion Week has officially come to a close. To break down the best, I’ve chosen my top 10 looks from the best Spring 2015 collections.

Delpozo

Thanks to designer Joseph Font’s innovative dreamy spin on his couture roots, Delpozo has become one of the most talked about lines.  He has claimed “The Interaction of Color” to be one of his main sources of inspiration which has resulted in this beautiful and sophisticated collection.  The other inspiration was marine life which was evident in this lovely mint green embellished dress. 

Richard Chai

Richard Chai took a step away from the cliché pastels and worked with vibrant jewel tones, previewing pieces from his spring collection that were bold, edgy and in some cases, glitzy. The dark colors used in this collection contrasted amazingly well with the all-white backdrop of the runway.  The use of asymmetrical lines, bold colors, layering, and tailored fit created a unique blend of looks.  The styling featured shirts and trenches falling off the shoulder to reveal ribbed tanks and shirts tied around the waist.  This created an aloof and grunge attitude. 

Altuzarra

Joseph Altuzarra has mastered his signature look- an unstructured blouse tucked into a pencil skirt with a slit.  For this collection he started by taking retro fabrics and turning them into something sexy.  He would repeat this silhouette, but by using textured and different patterns he created something special.  Later, he incorporated different styles of gowns and suits to mix-up his line to create a breathtaking array of looks.  With a sultry wrapped sweater and a leather cage skirt, this look was the perfect mix of classic and distinctive.

Reed Krakoff

Having opted out of the runway this year, Krakoff presented a small showing of his collection.  This was a great way to better show off the hard work he put into the artistic, graphic line.  He cut and draped everything asymmetrically while fancying up fringe and knit jerseys.  His color scheme spanned from crisp blue and whites to mustards and browns, often mixing these to create more interesting designs.

Rodarte  

This collection had all the hallmarks of a Rodarte look: drama, over-the-top styling, crazy shapes and textures.  They skewed perception by mixing the new sporty trend with the magical, glamorous twist.  They specialized in every color of sequined mermaid looks and mixed it with lacy touches that mirrored luxe pieces of seaweed.  This collection seemed to be inspired by the sea with many mermaid gowns complete with sequins and jewels.  Hand-painted lace, tulle, netting and embroidery create a romantic look that is mesmerizingly messy too.

Vera Wang

Sticking with the typical moodiness, Vera Wang turned her eye towards looks that mixed baby doll dresses and sheer gowns.  The first half of the runway was nearly all black, embellished with jet beads and tailored to perfection.  Then the feminine florals came out through jeweled babydolls and long flowing gowns that mixed patterns and textures.  The collection ended with a soft, innocent spirit, almost like she was going back and forth between floral and the all-black look.

Badgley Mischka

This brand is known for delicate, dazzling dresses, and this collection did not disappoint.  These looks featured light and airy gowns with bold helms.  Crystal bodysuits could be seen peaking underneath many of these gowns to give them a more glamorous, unique look.  Choosing to go soft and breezy was this lines way of stepping away from the heavy black clothes from fall.  Ruffles were a recurring theme in this line, which were emphasized by the layering used throughout. 

Ralph Lauren

Ralph Lauren kept with one of his favorite concepts– glam safari.  Minimalism is not something that he is known for, and this collection did not disappoint.  His color scheme was olive, white, and bold shots of magenta and yellow.  For this look he went a little more street, keeping with the current trends.  The mix of patterns, fabrics, and colors created a sophisticated yet fun look.  These looks mix day and evening attire to create a modern effect. 

Tommy Hilfiger

This line transformed the runway back to the ’70’s rock days with retro vibes.  This look mixed looks from rockers and groupies alike, featuring plenty of oversized sweaters, metallic bikinis, and stars tattooed freely across cheeks, arms and stomachs.  The final looks featured flowy printed chiffon gowns that created a mystical carefree feel.  The details taken from the rock ‘n’ roll attitude adds an element of creativity that was very unique.  This look is a little bit festival girl, flower child, and rock goddess mixed in one.

Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott is known for turning strange into fashionable, and this new line was no exception.  His collection as a whole was inspired by the idea of a music festival, emphasizing the fun, party atmosphere.  Including lots of bright, hippie-like garments, ruffled mini dresses, and great sneaker boots, these looks create a young carefree vibe.  Overall the collection was fun, playful and bold.  The inspiration behind his line was pop culture, which was highlighted by the jewelry designed and created by Miley Cyrus.  Scott’s pieces are bizarre and eccentric, standing out for being creative and over-the-top.  Along with florals and bright prints, Scott incorporated cartoon characters and ironic sayings to produce a youthful, cool line.

New York Fashion week did not disappoint!  Did you have any other looks that you loved from the Spring 2015 collections?  Let us know in the comments below!

Rep Image, Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4, Image 5, Image 6, Image 7, Image 8, Image 9, Image 10