Three Reminders for Why I Believe in Auburn and Love It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

This time two years ago, I was a senior in high school, busy filling out college applications and eagerly awaiting my acceptance letter. Most kids know from day one where they will attend college; for some, it’s their parents’ alma mater, for others it’s their state school a mere three hours from home. Some kids even choose their college based on the football team their parents have been rooting for since the dawn of time, but for me, it just wasn’t that easy. Even though I didn’t want to stray too far from home, a family friend suggested I tour Auburn and let me tell you, as soon as I stepped foot on the loveliest village on the plains, I fell in love. For anyone who doesn’t know me, I am the most indecisive person you will ever meet, so it was kind of a big deal.

Fast forward to February of my senior year, and it was decision time. Sitting at the kitchen counter with all of my acceptance letters and scholarship offers spread out in front of me, I was in distress. Where should I spend the next four plus years of my life? Now a little tidbit about my parents: they are die-hard Florida Gator fans. I mean they bleed orange and blue so seeing me go anywhere but University of Florida would practically kill them. However in that moment, my dad offered me the best piece of advice. He told me to read the Auburn Creed and if I got goose bumps while reading it, I was meant to go to Auburn. When I mustered up enough courage, I read that sucker, got goose bumps, and decided to believe in Auburn. And I love it.

1. The Auburn Family

No matter who you are or where you come from (even if you are a Bama fan) you will be welcomed with open arms. Auburn has such a small town feel and with that comes Southern hospitality and genuine friendliness. But not only is the Auburn Family in Auburn, Alabama; I’ve seen Tiger fans at Disney World before and exchanged a “War Eagle!”

2. Toomer’s Corner

When visiting Auburn, your first stop should most definitely be Toomer’s Drugs to get some freshly squeezed lemonade. While you’re there, take a look at the Samford clock tower and our iconic Toomer’s Oaks. Toomer’s Corner is not only a place of celebration and tradition, it represents the true heart of Auburn. Toomer’s Corner, as well as downtown, is within walking distance from anywhere on campus, which makes Auburn feel more homey and close-knit. In fact, sometimes after class on Friday’s, I’ll treat myself to a Steele City pop from their downtown location while basking in the fall sun on Samford Lawn.

3. The Sunsets

I may be bias when I say this, but you’ve never truly lived until you’ve witnessed an Auburn sunset; especially one while sitting in Jordan Hare stadium. I truly believe that God is an Auburn fan because the sky always illuminates with shades of spectacular blues and oranges in the evening. The sunsets are just one more reason why Auburn truly is the loveliest village on the plains.

I am so proud to call myself an Auburn Woman and be a part of the Auburn Family. I have found my home (for now) and could not imagine myself anywhere else. I believe in Auburn and love it. 

Animal Science major with a passion for writing. Crazy cat lover, avid diet coke drinker and a shopping addict.