Super Bands, Super Jams: How Bonnaroo is Creating Amazing Collaborations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Most festival acts are rock stars in their own rights. Led Zeppelin, Metallica, My Morning Jacket – all of these groups are known all over the globe for their unique sounds. But what happens when members of well-known groups collaborate with other artists from different genres?

Quite simply? Magic.

Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee creates “Superjams” of eclectic artists every year. These collaborations have quickly become one of Bonnaroo’s most anticipated traditions. Tens of thousands of guests show up to the Superjams to see what will happen when the biggest names in music collide. These groups produce a unique spin on covers of old favorites to create a memorable night. The night is always full of surprises and unanticipated performers. This year, there will be a Superjam almost every night of the festival.

On June 15th, Bonnaroo hosts one of the craziest collaborations yet. Skrillex, one of the most influential musicians in the EDM movement will be headlining the Superjam. Zedd and Big Gigantic will also be bringing their EDM vibes to the performance. To mix it up, Marley Robby Krieger from The Doors and Mickey Hart from the Grateful Dead will be in attendance to add a rock element. Chance the Rapper, the next big thing in hip-hop, will be helping with the beats. Rounding out the group will be the lovely Janelle Monáe bringing some soul to the group, Warpaint with some postpunk influences, and Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley, topping it off with some reggae. 

Earlier that night will be the Bluegrass Situation Superjam with Ed Helms. The Bluegrass Situation Superjam premiered last year at Bonnaroo, and was such a success that Bonnaroo had to have a repeat performance. Ed Helms is not just a hilarious actor–he is also a wonderful banjo player! Ed Helms leds a star-studded list of bluegrass’s best performers in a rollicking, unforgettable performance. Head over to Funny Or Die to see Ed Helms show off his banjo skills in a hilarious video.

The night before, June 14th, is another fantastic mash-up. Derek Trucks, arguably one of the best slide guitarists ever, is headlining this performance. His wife Susan Tedeschi, an amazing guitarist in her own right, will also be playing at the jam. James Gadson, musical legend, will be playing the drums. Chaka Khan, ten-time GRAMMY® winner, will also be appearing. Chaka Khan is a Superjam all by herself; she performs every genre from classical to rock! Taj Mahal will be covering the blues side of things, while Andrew Bird will represent classical music. Eric Krasno, David Hidalgo, and Adam Deitch will also be helping making this a Superjam to remember! 

Manchester, Tennessee is only about 6 hours from Auburn so there’s no excuse for not checking out these sure-to-be memorable collaborations! Whether you’re looking for EDM, R&B, classical or bluegrass, you’ll find your place at the Superjam. Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival is June 12-15 and General Admission tickets are currently $284.50 plus fees.

Leah is an upcoming senior studying Biomedical Sciences at Auburn University. She hopes to work in the medical field and travel around the world. At Auburn, she is the President of Delta Epsilon Iota, Vice President of Gamma Beta Phi, and Assistant Director of Films for University Programs Council. She spends her time quoting movies she’s never seen, making up catchphrases, and petting all the animals she can get her hands on. She still believes that “fetch” can happen.