Spotlight On Style: Janelle Monáe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Janelle Monáe certainly knows how to make an impact! The 25-year-old has only released two albums but she is already a mega-star in the making. This summer, she is slated to perform all over the country, including nearby Manchester, Tennessee at Bonnaroo! She’s not just a singer though – with a Covergirl campaign and spreads in InStyle, Vogue, and Marie Claire, Janelle is poised to take over the fashion world as well. Here are some tips to make her killer style your own!

Try Playing with Textures

Every magazine is promoting “accent colors” for summer. Janelle twisted this trend by keeping a neutral palate (she loves white and black!) and adding a cool texture to mix up the feel of her outfit. It keeps basic colors from becoming boring! Try adding a studded vest to your look to keep your outfit Auburn summer weather appropriate. In the fall, look for some velvet dresses to keep up with the ‘90s revival trend.

Have a Signature Piece

Janelle always is wearing something fresh and new. The secret to making any look work for you? A signature item! Janelle always has a gorgeous, fierce pompadour hairstyle that makes any outfit look cool. Anytime you rock a new style, try bringing in something old to make it a look that truly suits you. A signature item can be anything from your favorite childhood necklace that you never take off to classic red lips. The options are limitless!

Don’t Be Afraid of the Men’s Department

Janelle often is seen on the red carpet wearing cool tuxedoes. The trick to wearing menswear without actually looking like a man is all in the accessories. Add some ultra-feminine parts to your look to really create some contrast. Try pairing some big earrings with a blazer and button-down or leather leggings with a blazer and sheer blouse. Dramatic makeup, such as a bold cat-eye, will also set your look apart. Lastly, don’t forget perfume – something floral like Viktor & Rolf’s Flowerbomb will give you the perfect girly-tough combo!

Leah is an upcoming senior studying Biomedical Sciences at Auburn University. She hopes to work in the medical field and travel around the world. At Auburn, she is the President of Delta Epsilon Iota, Vice President of Gamma Beta Phi, and Assistant Director of Films for University Programs Council. She spends her time quoting movies she’s never seen, making up catchphrases, and petting all the animals she can get her hands on. She still believes that “fetch” can happen.