Pros and Cons: Auburn Student Section Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

While we all know sitting in the student section is one of the greatest privileges of an Auburn

student, here is my list for the pros and cons that you may witness on any given

game day:

Pro: You will never feel closer to the Auburn Family.

Face it: there is no better feeling than sitting in that stadium with 87,451 of your closest

friends. The only thing that makes it just a tiny bit better is when you look around you and

realize this is your school. You can take pride in your classmates to the left and right of you and

know that this is the best college in the country. If there was ever any doubt that you chose the

right school, that feeling goes away on game days in the student section.

Con: Sometimes the Auburn Family is not so nice.

Everybody has their off day, but sometimes you get pelted in the back of the head with an

empty Sprite bottle. I mean, it’s fine. Everyone has that annoying cousin in their family, right?

Tensions run high on gameday and sometimes (especially this year), people get frustrated with

our Auburn Tigers. Sometimes that can result in the throwing of an empty soda bottle, the

breaking of a perfectly good shaker, or in some cases, even the punching of a pledge.

Pro: You get some of the best seats in the house.

Being in the student section is amazing. You are practically on the field with the players.

If a quarterback overthrew the football, you might get the honor of being pelted in the face. You

are so close that you can almost smell those wide receivers. Auburn gives its students the

pleasure of being in the end zone, and with great privilege comes great responsibility. Some

might even consider us the 12th man.

Con: You have to be waiting in line all day for those seats.

If you want the privilege of sitting in some of the best seats in the stadium, unfortunately, it may come with a price. People stand in line for the student section hours (like three) before the gates even open. Even then, you’re not guaranteed a good spot. It’s first come, first serve, except for those select fraternities, sororities and other organizations.

Pro: You get a close up view of the average drunk college student.

Watching those drunken fans around you is one of the funniest parts of a football game.

One of my favorite memories is watching a fraternity brother use a pledge as a personal

punching bag when Auburn would mess up. The obnoxious yelling, screaming, and yes,

sometimes even tears from our drunken  Auburn family members is a funny memory.

Con: You get a close up view of the average drunk college student.

On the other hand, sometimes those funny drunken students just keep drinking and it takes

a turn for the worst. Sometimes they puke on you. Or they may pass out in the

bleachers in front of you. Or maybe they say the “f” word so many times that you forgot it is

usually called the “f” word.

Pro: You have the best chance of getting on that huge Tiger-tron.

Being a student at Auburn has its advantages. One of those is the chance that you might

end up on the Jumbotron. Everyone in the stadium and within a 10 mile radius of the Auburn-Opelika

area will see you on that Jumbotron. The FBI who watches us from satellites far, far

away will see you on that Jumbotron. You might even make it on the Jumbotron and people will

make t-shirts with your face on it. Yeah, it’s a big deal here.

Con: You won’t exactly see you or anyone else on that Jumbotron without a massive crick

in your neck.

While one of the best seats in the student section is at the foot of the end zone, the

absolute worst place to sit if you strictly came for the Jumbotron: the foot of the end zone. You

could turn around and look to see what’s on it, but then there’s a pretty good chance that the

whole Auburn crowd will only see the back of your head. Also, you can never take your eyes off

the field because you just might miss the next “Miracle in Jordan-Hare.”

Pro: It’s the best part about game day.

Some people only come to this school for the football Saturdays. Whether you fall under

that category, you will no doubt love the atmosphere on Saturdays and love being

surrounded by people who love those Auburn Tigers just as much as you do.

Con: Your feet will hurt. A lot.

With great privilege comes great responsibility. May you always wear sneakers and

may you look at that girl with the four-inch heels and quietly “bless her heart.” Standing for four

hours is no joke. You just better hope that those people behind you like to sit during the short

time-outs, otherwise, you are guaranteed a blister or two.

So, to all my fellow Auburn students, may you soar with the eagle, strike up the band, and hold

down your alcohol, because sitting in the student section is another game in itself.

Freshman at Auburn University.  Journalism major.  Cam Newton fan girl.
Lindy Olive is known for being a foodie health-nut hybrid, who thinks the best things in life happen in the kitchen. She is a senior at Auburn University, majoring in Nutrition & Wellness and minoring in Sustainability. She wrote for Her Campus Auburn for three years before taking on a role as Campus Corespondent. If you ever need her, you can find her in front of a computer, in a garden, or at the gym. Lindy likes to dream big, and right now, that dream consists of owning a garden-bakery while writing agriculture public policy or working for a test kitchen. When she isn't thinking about food, which is apparently rare, she is hiking with her boyfriend and dog, on a feminist rant, or having deep conversations with her best friends Bailey and Melissa.