This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

2013 has been a monumental year for music. We have seen groundbreaking new artists rise in every genre, along with seasoned musicians releasing albums that are beyond comparison. Whether you enjoy vibing to mellow singer/songwriter tunes or jamming to the newest Top 40 single, contemporary musicians have produced countless hits for your listening pleasure this year. With so many new albums being released every week on iTunes, it’s hard to decide which album is worth the complete purchase. Below is an in depth analysis of 10 great albums of 2013 that should be added to your iTunes library!

1. Arctic Monkeys – AM

Arctic Monkeys have been turning out hit after hit since the early 2000s; however, it is their newest release AM that is shaking the alternative rock scene. With an undeniably sexy sound, ‘AM’ is bursting with unique tracks that boast clever lyrics and an almost psychedelic resonance.

2. HAIM – Days Are Gone

The Haim sister’s highly anticipated album, Days Are Gone did not disappoint. HAIM consists of three sisters whose breathy rock style has them rapidly climbing the charts and receiving praise from other musicians and critics alike. It is their blend of soft rock and almost pop-esque vocals that have these ladies standing out from the pack; HAIM is definitely a band to watch out for in the future.

3. Kanye West – Yeezus

Love him or hate him, Kanye West is a force to be reckoned with in the music industry. His newest record Yeezus is a work of art in itself, each song encompassing a different sound. Citing influences from various decades, genres and artists, Yeezus is an accumulation of the creative genius that is Kanye West. (*lyrical content is explicit)

4. The 1975 – The 1975

The 1975’s self titled, debut album, The 1975, exhibits a plethora of diverse tracks that vary from indie rock to techno-dance funk. While their genre may be hard to define, the British musicians place emphasis on producing innovative tunes that have audiences on their feet.  

5. Foy Vance – Joy of Nothing

Joy of Nothing is hands down, one of the greatest albums of 2013. Each song is a lyrical masterpiece, with smooth melodies that give way to a very fluid, cohesive arrangement of songs.

6. Vampire Weekend – Modern Vampires of the City

Vampire Weekend’s renowned album Modern Vampires of the City certainly satisfied the hype that surrounded its release. Perfect for long, nostalgic road trips, Vampire Weekend’s new record seems to touch on the American spirit that is identifiable by all collegiettes.  

7. The National  Trouble Will Find Me

If you are looking for a good cry, The National’s newest record Trouble Will Find Me is worth the buy. Sober lyrics and soft guitar melodies hint unearth a feeling of sorrow for the listener. Bad breakup? Terrible day? Ditch your go-to sappy Taylor Swift tunes and let The National become the soundtrack for your bad days.

8. Volcano Choir – Repave

Fear not, music-loving collegiettes, Bon Iver’s front man, Justin Vernon, has resurfaced! His new project, Volcano Choir, still embodies the folky sound that Bon Iver fans love, only Repave exhibits a stronger instrumental sound. Tracks like “Comrade” feature a more whimsical sound, while “Acetate” is significantly more aggressive. Volcano Choir is unique in it’s own right, and worth listening to, whether you are a Bon Iver fan or not.

9. The Weeknd – Kiss Land

The Weeknd’s newest record Kiss Land has a much more trippy vibe than previous album, Trilogy. Both vocals and instrumentals are very light throughout Kiss Land, lulling listeners into a dream-like state.

10. Lorde – Pure Heroine

Lorde is an artist to watch out for in the future. The buzz surrounding her debut album, Pure Heroine was justified as single “Royals” soared to number one on the Billboard Hot 100. This 16-year-old has a unique tone, coupled with an impressive vocal range and outstanding songwriting skills.

Rep Image courtesy of Anna Henderson 

Anna is a junior Public Relations student at Auburn University, pursing a career in the music industry upon graduation. Raised in a small, backwards town in Alabama, Anna's feelings of restlessness led her to leave the United States in 2013 to complete a semester studying abroad in Rome, Italy, as well as an internship in Dublin, Ireland. When she isn't globetrotting, you can find Anna scouring YouTube for up-and-coming musicians, Instagramming an excessive number of photos of her dog, Hootie, or writing sassy content for Her Campus Auburn.