This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Elephants–the most awe-inspiring animal to walk this Earth. I say this with such confidence due to my everlasting love for the animal. I love them so much that my parents adopted one for me through the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. Little Maisha is now my pride and joy and I get monthly updates on her progress. I often get asked why I am so obsessed with them, and honestly, at first I really couldn’t give a direct answer why I truly loved them it was just something about how they acted and carried themselves is what I loved. As time went on I came up with many answers. So here are some of the answers to why I love them and why you should too!

This is my homegirl Maisha(:

They’re the gentlest giants

They are such gentle giants because they really don’t know their own size. They’re like a huge dog who thinks it’s a lap dog when it’s really not.

They’re highly intelligent

Has anyone ever put an elephant in front of a mirror? Well, first, I don’t blame you if you haven’t because they’re quite large and second, what happens is that they are able to recognize themselves in the mirror. They know who they are and that’s just so cool.

They stick together

They’re really amazing when it comes to family bonds. They don’t abandon each other. They stick together through everything, thick and thin. They are always there for each other no matter what. Families that stick together like that really is beautiful in itself (special shout to my fam!! love y’all<3). It’s even more beautiful with their amount of loyalty to each other.

They’re emotional

They’re such an emotional creature, that they have been known to mourn their dead loved ones.

They’re literally so cute, it shouldn’t be legal

I mean come on, you can’t tell me they’re not.

Lily Haire

Auburn '21

Lily is a junior seeking a Marketing degree here at Auburn University. This is her third year with Her Campus and she LOVES it!  When she isn't studying hard and working on Her Campus, she enjoys jamming to music in the car, working as a staff member for the Glomerata, reading all things F. Scott Fitzgerald, eating peanut butter straight outta the jar, and watching Netflix. Some of her favorite things include sunsets, beaches, good food, and cuddling with her goldendoodle and german shepherd pups.