How Our Promo Box Can Up Your Sex and Body Education With Cystex

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Everyone who has a vagina knows the struggle of the common ails: the UTI, the yeast infection—you know, the worst. When it comes to sex education, people with vaginas aren’t really told much in the way of how to take care of and maintain the healthy balance of pH in the vagina or how to stay clean of STIs. And, even worse, a lot of schools don’t teach prevention of vaginal and urinal infections (there’s not a lot of time when abstinence-only education takes the forefront).

But this semester’s promo box comes with a healthy dose of vaginal and urinal info through Cystex, a urinary pain relief medicine that helps combat the pain of UTIs as well as control UTI infections. In its silver and red box glory, not only does Cystex reduce pain through its medicine, but it also seeks to spread knowledge on its website.

In light of the fact that many people with vaginas aren’t taught how to combat UTIs or even how to spot them, I’m going to take the time to share some of the info that Cystex has on their website—as they say on School House Rock,

There are some major falsehoods that surround UTIs, mainly because of lack of information and the fact that people seem to be afraid to have healthy discussions about bodily health near the genitals. A lot of people preach the power of cranberry juice, some people do the “ignore it and it’ll go away method,” and some people just are unaware of how to combat or even think about their UTI. They’re not 100% avoidable, but they are preventable. My mother herself is prone to kidney infection, so I have become painfully aware as the years have gone by of how UTIs work, and what they can lead to if someone with one doesn’t act. So here are my facts on how to treat and to combat UTIs.

First off, cranberry juice is not your friend when it comes to UTIs, and is in fact a common misconception. As Cystex says at the link above, “Cranberries cannot treat or cure UTIs. Only an antibiotic will cure an established UTI.” And, furthermore, according to yourkidneys.com, cranberry juice can make your urine more acidic, which hurts your kidneys. If you do drink cranberry juice, make sure to water it down and drink sparingly. And, even more so, it’s not the treatment you’re looking for in getting rid of your UTI.

Second, UTIs can be caused by penetrative sex, and the “see if it goes away” method is very dangerous. As Cystex says, “During sex, the urethra comes into contact with the bacteria from the genital area and anus, allowing them to enter the urethra, the bladder, and possibly eventually the kidneys, and result in an infection.” Y’all, a kidney infection is no joke. There’s no shame in having as much or as little sex as you want, but taking care of yourself is always more important than getting laid. If anyone watches Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, you’ll remember the scene where Rebecca has this dance number with Greg:

While this seems funny, you’ll then remember that she later passes out and has to be rushed to the hospital later BECAUSE OF A KIDNEY INFECTION. Cystex can help with the pain of a UTI, but you should still see the doctor to avoid your chances of a kidney infection. Waiting is deadly! To help prevent UTIs, you should also follow the advice Cystex hands out, “In some rare circumstances, untreated UTIs can spread beyond the kidneys to the blood stream. It’s important to call your doctor as soon as you think you have a UTI.”

Finally, here are some varied facts for people just coming to understand their bodily health. Anyone can get UTIs, but people with vaginas are most prone. While they aren’t contagious, having frequent ones over and over is something to see a doctor about. The only symptom isn’t burning sensation when peeing: others include “pain or pressure in your back or lower abdomen; urine that appears cloudy, dark, or bloody; strong-smelling urine; feeling tired or shaky; fever or chills.” And, lastly, peeing after sex is a major step to helping prevent UTIs.

So, using Cystex can help control the infection, but isn’t a replacement for seeing the doctor. As you go about your life, remember that your health and bodily awareness are more important than sex and feeling embarrassed about having to get your urethra. Also, stop drinking so much cranberry juice.

Hannah an English Literature major at Auburn University.