jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Do Valentine’s Day on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Being in college has its disadvantages when it comes to holidays. I don’t know about you, but I like to spoil my boyfriend with great gifts—but that doesn’t mean they have to be expensive. I’ve come up with a few ways to have a wonderful Valentine’s Day without breaking the bank in the process. 

1. 12 Months of Pre-Planned Dates:

Your S.O. is sure to love this gift. It’ll take away some work from them so that they doesn’t have to think of too many cute dates. You’re really helping them out here by telling them exactly what you want to do and when you want to do it. 

2. Re-Create Your First Date:

How cute would this be? Maybe you two had a picnic on Samford or a late night dinner at Irish Bred Pub. Either way, it’s sure to be an exciting date as you relive a memory that the two of you share together. And thankfully you won’t have to deal with the actual stress of a first date.

3. Go Stargazing Together:

I know, this one is a bit difficult with Auburn’s light pollution. This one will take some driving. Just grab some pillows, blankets and snacks and head on out to Loachapoka or Beauregard. This one is even more perfect if your S.O. has a truck. 

4. Cook Dinner for your Significant Other:

Does your S.O. have a favorite meal? Grab the necessary ingredients, and get cooking. You could even contact your S.O.’s roommate to let you into their place, and you can surprise your S.O. when he or she comes home, if schedules work in your favor. 

5. Make a Scapbook:

This one is slightly dependent on the amount of time you’ve been dating your S.O. or if you two take many pictures together. I think you should have at least 10-15 pictures to make a decent sized scapbook. Your S.O. is sure to love this gift and will now have physical pictures of some of your memories together. 

6. Five Senses Gift:

Personally, this is one of my favorite ideas. You’ll need to come up with an idea for each sense: smell (cologne, aftershave, candel), taste (giftcard, DIY gift certificate to cook dinner for them), touch (nice shirt, blanket), sight (favorite movie, gift certificate to movie theatre), hearing (headphones/earbuds, CD). Now, although this consists of five gifts, you don’t have to go crazy. You can definitely do this idea for $50 or less. 

I'm an involved Sophomore at Auburn University with a passion for writing.  I've grown up as a Navy Brat which has placed structure into my life.  I enjoy helping others in my free time as it brings joy to my heart.  I believe in Auburn and love it.