Healthier Hot Drinks for Girls Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

I’ve previously mentioned that I’m a nutrition nerd, and with that comes a bit of tinkering with ingredients to “healthify” my favorite recipes–and there is no exception when it comes to perfect-for-fall drinks! I’ve compiled a list of several, ranging from ones that’ll give you a much-needed jolt of caffeine to ones that are perfect to sip while you wind down from a busy week. 

I’ll start off this list of perfect-for-fall drinks with my own recipe for healthier hot chocolate. Side note: my friends joke that no normal people enjoy my resultant experimental concoctions, but I don’t think they’re half bad! In case you side with them, skip this recipe for others that are tried and true by people all over Pinterest.

1. Anna’s Healthy Hot Chocolate

Ingredients (One Serving)

1 cup almond milk (I use unsweetened original because I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, but use whatever kind of milk you enjoy!)

1 large spoonful of unsweetened dark cocoa powder (Play around a bit with the amount you add; adjust till you have the perfect chocolately taste.)

1 teaspoon agave nectar (You can substitute honey instead. Also, if you use sweetened milk, omit the added agave/honey/liquid sweetner.)

Instructions

1. In a microwave-safe mug, heat the almond milk for about two minutes, just till it’s piping hot.

2. Stir in the cocoa powder–be sure to mix it well because if you add agave too soon, the cocoa powder clumps!

3. Add your choice of liquid sweetener. Stir and add cocoa powder or sweetener as needed.

2. Vegan Pumpkin Spice Bedtime Drink

Ingredients (Two Servings)

2 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk

2 tablespoons pumpkin puree

2 tablespoons maple syrup

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Optional: vegan whipped cream + walnuts for garnish

Instructions

1. Whisk together all the ingredients on medium-low heat in a small saucepan until the drink is perfectly hot and no lumps remain.

2. Serve hot!

Recipe and image courtesy of Christine Skari @ Apple of My Eye.

3Almond Milk Chai Latte

Ingredients (Two Servings)

2 cups (500ml) unsweetened almond milk or pecan milk

2 chai tea bags

2 tbsp maple syrup

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp ground cloves

1 tsp ground nutmeg

coconut whipped cream, as topping

Instructions

1. In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the nut milk until it just starts to simmer, then immediately remove from heat.

2. Add the chai tea bags and leave to steep for 5 minutes. Remove and discard the tea bags, then add the rest of the ingredients and whisk well to combine. Taste and adjust sweetness or spice to your liking, then pop it back over low heat for a few minutes until warmed through. Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend for 20-30 seconds, until frothy, then transfer to mugs.

3. Serve warm with a dollop of coconut whipped cream if you wish!

Recipe and image courtesy of Alessandra @ The Foodie Teen.

—Anna’s sidenote: can we talk about how this blogger is only eighteen years old? Seriously, check out her blog! So much talent!

4. 35-Calorie Peppermint Mocha

Ingredients (One Serving)

1 cup unsweetened cashew milk

1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

6-8 drops vanilla crème stevia, or to taste

4 drops peppermint extract, or to taste

¾ cup double-strength coffee

Instructions

1. Add the milk, cocoa powder, and stevia to a small saucepan. Warm over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes or until the cocoa powder has dissolved and the milk is completely warmed through. Stir in the peppermint extract.

2. Add the coffee to a mug, and pour the milk mixture on top.

Notes

Any milk may be substituted for the cashew milk, and any sweetener may be substituted for the vanilla crème stevia.

Recipe and image courtesy of Amy @ Amy’s Healthy Baking.

5. Healthy Homemade Gingerbread Latte

Ingredients 

1 cup unsweetened almond milk

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon dried ginger

1/2 teaspoon molasses

sweetener, to taste 

1/2 cup fresh brewed coffee, or to taste

Instructions

1. Combine almond milk, cinnamon, ginger, and molasses in a glass measuring jar. Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds or until very hot. Whisk vigorously, blend in a blender, or froth with a milk frother. Pour into a big mug. Add as much coffee as you would like. Top with some whipped cream or extra frothed milk and cinnamon, if you like. Devour.

Recipe and image courtesy of Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco.

_________________________________________________

Now pull out your favorite mugs and get to stirring! These recipes won’t lead you wrong. Happy fall!!

I am a Computer Engineering sophomore at Auburn University. You'll see that I have a penchant for using puns, writing lists, giving advice, and talking about my personal college experiences (especially as a woman in STEM and former NASA intern!). I'm a huge fan of Crossfit and weight lifting, am a self-proclaimed coffee addict, and am a major outer space nerd.