#FirstWorldProblems: The Disasters of Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Dating isn’t quite like it used to be.

I say this never having been in a committed relationship in this century or the previous, but it doesn’t take a serial dater to label the relationship habits of today as completely screwed-up. In a world where technology reigns and the priorities of twenty-somethings aren’t as organized as they should be, what’s a collegiette to do?

In my highly unprofessional opinion, part of the issue with dating is the utter lack of respect on the part of both sexes. Feminism is on the rise again, and it’s no surprise why. Men (or boys, I should say) have no concept for what it means to treat a woman. As I enter my last semester of college without a full-blown relationship under my belt I’ve begun to reflect on the state of relationships in the 21st century. Now, it’s not just men who are at fault; as women we have some maturing to do when it comes to our dating lives. But in my experience, relationships have been muddled by the egoistic focus of the men of our generation.

How not get a girlfriend: treat her like a trophy

For some reason the college boy of today thinks that campus is full of trophies and each collegiette is a prize to be won. It may come as a surprise, but that’s not a way to treat a lady. Relationships are about common interests, attraction, and affection. It may come as a shock but none of those are involved in the rules of a game.

Boys, when you’re out with your friends, remember that picking up a girl isn’t like setting the lineup for your Fantasy Football team. Dating isn’t a competition, so let’s stop treating it like one.

Honor Your Commitments

The number of guys I’ve seen cheating or attempt to cheat on their girlfriends makes me want to throw up. Here’s an instance of messed-up priorities. You entered a relationship because you, hopefully, liked your girl. Things aren’t working out so great anymore? End it. Be a man and have a talk with your SO instead of going out and finding a side chick.

This is also a situation where women are tainting the dating pool. By knowingly being a side chick you’re helping to break up the sacred bonds of a relationship. Honor yourself and know that you’re worth so much more than being the third wheel in some shady boy’s relationship.

Worst Pick-Up Technique: Objectification

Hate to break it to you, boys, but women aren’t here for your entertainment. I know. Sit down if you need to.

There is nothing more infuriating than being out with your girls and basically being accosted by some douchebag because you turned him down. I apologize for not feeling it, but I am entitled to my opinion. Women don’t have to melt at your every line and move with your every whim. If we want to dance, we will. If don’t want to sit with you for a drink, we won’t. Sorry if I bruise your ego but all is fair in love and war.

Women are Humans

Again, seems like a no-brainer. But in my 3 and half years of college “dating” experience, a lot of guys seemed to miss this lesson.

Women are people; we have emotions, thoughts, standards, and brains. The female form is not all there is. Yes, girls are beautiful to look at with our hair and makeup and fashion. However, our bodies aren’t the roots of our soul. No matter how a woman chooses to present herself, it is not an invitation to look at her as her body.

In my years of college the most important relationship lesson I’ve learned is this: there is no way to navigate the dating world in which we live. As long as men act like boys and women act like girls, the problems that exist will be perpetuated. The best way to fix the issues: ignore the loser boys and their bull, and before you know it a great man will appear in some corner of your world.

Rep ImageImage 1Image 2Image 3Image 4