Coping with Your Roommate Issues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

College is where we most of us are away from our parents and begin a journey to live with someone else. We all have to learn to live with someone else who doesn’t know you well, sharing, and how to compromise. We all may run into problems where we disagree with each other and it may seem like there is no way out; no way to fix it, but to move out. Here are some ways to cope when dealing with your roommate issues.

Stay Calm

When fighting with your roomate, yelling and screaming are both bad ideas. Being aggressive in this kind of situation is NOT a good solution. Even worse, it could hurt the other person even more and that could lead to irrational decision making!

Do Not Make Any Irrational Decisions

Speaking of which, this won’t help you. You just can’t stand each other due because of a blow up over who took the last scoop of ice cream and your next decision is to move out immediately, but maybe that might not be the best idea. Some disputes can be worked out easily by just talking, but others may need more time. So take time to think and rethink what you want to do; maybe you don’t actually want to move out, you probably just want to have a long talk about it instead which could fix it all. 

Confront Them/Talk It Out

Holding all the emotions, feelings, and pent up anger is not the best thing to do for yourself and your roommate. During an issue, someone has to be the bigger person and stand up and confront the situation at hand and talk it through to find a resolution. 

Lay Everything On The Table In A Calm Manner

Once you both have c sat down to try and talk it out, start to lay certain pet peeves on the table to share. That way, both of you guys can try and compromise with how to cope with each other. 

Set Rules And Follow Them Accordingly If Needed

When you both have come to a compromise, it’s time to put those words into action. Set rules and abide by them. It’ll make the two of you happier to see the other at least trying to make things work out. 

Agree to Disagree

Sometimes, each of you will just have to learn that there are differences that you cannot fix, in which case, you agree to disagree with each other and leave it at that and move on. Don’t try and fight it. 

Rep Image