Celebrity Alum: Octavia Spencer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Oscar-winning actress Octavia Spencer is shining in her latest TV role as Nurse Jackson on FOX’s Red Band Society despite critical predictions that the show will be canceled. But long before Octavia was lighting up our television and movie theatre screens, she was walking down the Haley Concourse as an Auburn student, just like us!

Octavia Spencer graduated with a Liberal Arts degree in 1991 from Auburn after attending Auburn Montgomery for the first two years of college. A true southern belle, she grew up in Montgomery and was always an Auburn girl at heart. Her acting career began in 1996 with the film A Time to Kill, but she skyrocketed to international and renowned fame with her portrayal of Minny Jackson in 2011’s The Help. The role landed her numerous awards and recognition, but most importantly the coveted Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. She even gave a shout-out to her alma mater on the red carpet!

We love being able to brag about having an Academy-Award Winner as an Auburn alum, but most of all we love to she exemplifies the class and drive that it takes to be a true Auburn woman! 

Rep ImageImage 1