Campus Celebrity: AU Gymnast Kelsey Kopec

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Kelsey Kopec is a member of Auburn’s incredible gymnastics team! She’s smart, talented, and driven, all qualities which emobody a true Auburn woman. I was lucky enough to get to know Kelsey and learn more about her career as a gymnast. 

Major: Mechanical Engineering 

Class Standing: Senior

Age: 20

What event(s) do you compete in? Bars and Vault

When did you start taking gymnastics lesson? I started gymnastics when I was 2. 

When did you start competing? 2004

Why did you decide to compete? I got moved up from classes to level 5 team, and having the opportunity to be a part of a team and compete in something that I enjoyed doing was a chance I wanted to take! 

What is your best competition memory? One of my best memories is probably my first meet here at Auburn. It was so different compared to anything I have ever experienced in competition before. Competing as a college athlete is something I have always dreamed of and I never thought I would have the opportunity of doing so. 

What has been your favorite moment as an Auburn gymnast? As an Auburn gymnast, I would say one of my favorite moments was competing at SEC championships. I have attended the meet before many times before I came to college and it is such a different atmosphere and there is such a high level of competition that it was also something I wanted to be a part of. Being there with my teammates and family definitely made it one of my favorite experiences. 

Why do you think the student body loves coming to meets so much? I absolutely love how many students come to support us at our meets. I like to think that our meets are a lot of fun and there are always ways to be entertained. The energy the crowd brings is always something to look forward to every Friday night.  I also think that the opportunity to compete against other teams in the SEC is something to be excited about as well. 

What is your favorite thing about being a gymnast?My favorite thing about being a gymnast is probably everything I learn from being an athlete in addition to a student. I enjoy the sport of gymnastics so much and I also like how the hard work and dedication required teaches me lessons that I can use inside and outside of the gym. I also like the people that I have the opportunity to meet. 

Catch Kelsey compete in the team’s meet next week against Georgia in the Auburn Arena. Entrance is free with your Ignited Card!