jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Beware the Booty Call

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

We’ve all been there (or, at the very least, know someone who has been there); it’s late and you’ve probably had a couple drinks, when suddenly your phone lights up like a beacon of hope in an otherwise desolate sea of singleness. It’s him again, the guy you’ve hooked up with once, or perhaps multiple times. You are torn. The optimist in you starts building him up, placing him atop the pedestal you have built just for him in your mind –

I mean, he is like, totally hot, and he like, told me he liked my hair that one time. He likes me. No, yeah…He totally likes me.

Meanwhile, the realist in you has a sneaking suspicion that he may not be looking for a significant other, but rather, something slightly less significant.

The booty. He is looking for the booty.

Will you answer the call?

Let’s break down a “booty call”, for those of you who are not familiar with this pop culture term. The always reliable Urban Dictionary defines a booty call as “a late night summons — often made via telephone — to arrange clandestine sexual liaisons on an ad hoc basis.” Chances are, if you only receive texts from Stanley Stud after the witching hour, you, my friend, are a booty call. If Harold Hunk only wants to “hang out” behind closed doors, your dreams of handholding on the beach are going to remain just dreams. 

Now, let’s not be naïve here. Females have been known to send a promiscuous text or two once the sun goes down. In fact, many of us are both victims and culprits of this act. If you are only looking for a steamy hookup, this behavior is completely acceptable in college world. There is nothing wrong with playing the field if you are not ready to settle down. At the end of the day, you should do what is best for you (preferably a decision that your sober self would be alright with, too). The difference lies in the fact that there are women who continually confuse strictly sexual affairs with budding relationships. The truth is, this is the real world, not Fifty Shades of Grey. Your hot and heavy fling is not likely to transform into a star-crossed romance any time soon. It will remain just as it is, a fling.

I know, I know– take a second and let it all sink in.

You may be having doubts, questioning the meaning behind Alan Abs’s invitation to his dorm late last Friday night. Alas, you are not alone. Many women spend hours deciphering the simplest text, overthinking it to the point of hair pulling hysteria. You’ve probably enlisted a friend or two in hopes of understanding the meaning behind the “what’s up” you got at 1:47 AM. Screenshots were shared and much to your dismay, the ruling from the jury of your friends was unanimous: booty call.

Upon the discovery of your booty call status, not the prospective girlfriend position you had once believed yourself to be, what do you do? Subtweet? Key his car? Make a move on his pledge brother? No. You bow out of the game gracefully, allowing someone else to assume your rank as BC #1. Respect yourself enough to walk away and wait for something better, a relationship with substance. If, in fact, your Late Night Larry turns out to be a Don’t Leave Just Yet Lance, build a relationship on your terms. That means daylight rendezvous, meaningful conversations and perhaps an authentic date or two.

Beware the booty call and never settle for less than you deserve. Despite what you see on the television or read in the appalling teen romance novels, being used will never be hip or cool. You are beautiful no matter your size, hairstyle, skin color or complexion. If it means waiting, wait. You are worth it – remember that!

Do you have any great booty call texts to share? Let us know in the comments below!

Rep Image 

All photos submitted by anonymous collegiettes™

Anna is a junior Public Relations student at Auburn University, pursing a career in the music industry upon graduation. Raised in a small, backwards town in Alabama, Anna's feelings of restlessness led her to leave the United States in 2013 to complete a semester studying abroad in Rome, Italy, as well as an internship in Dublin, Ireland. When she isn't globetrotting, you can find Anna scouring YouTube for up-and-coming musicians, Instagramming an excessive number of photos of her dog, Hootie, or writing sassy content for Her Campus Auburn.