Style > Beauty

The Best (and cheapest) All-Natural Beauty Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Let’s be real, I could never live without my beauty products. Lotions, serums and makeup are all a part of my daily beauty routine. We girls are a work of art and it takes tons of special tools to keep us looking our best. All these products can get pricey, and a college budget just can’t support top-shelf beauty products. Here are a few of my favorite all-natural, cheap beauty products.

Tea Tree Oil

If you struggle with acne, tea tree oil is going to be your best friend. I’ve tried zit creams, face wash and masks but none of them work for acne better than tea tree oil. Before bed, put a few drops on a cotton swab and apply it directly to any whitehead. The next morning the zit will be noticeably smaller and less red.  Tea tree oil can be bought at Walgreens for about $3 a bottle.

Coconut oil

The uses for coconut oil are endless.

• Dry Hair? Apply a coconut oil mask all over your head for 15 minutes before you take a shower. The coconut oil will make your hair noticeably softer and shinier. (Tip: make sure you wash it COMPLETLEY out of your hair or your beautiful locks will appear greasy.)
  • Or, rub a small amount between your hands and apply to dry hair to get rid of frizz and flyaways.
  • Fair skin? Coconut oil naturally has an SPF of 4 so apply a thin layer on your face before you start the day. (Again, not too much or you will look greasy.)
  • My favorite use for coconut oil is cooking! Use it as a healthier alternative for vegetable oil or a non-dairy substitute for butter. A large jar of coconut oil costs about $10 at the grocery store. 

Honey Sugar Scrub

Does your lipstick dry out your lips and make them flaky? Next time you want to rock the classic red lips, try a homemade sugar scrub first. Just mix honey and brown sugar for the perfect scrub. You’ll need:

• 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • Enough honey (or coconut oil) to make it stick together 
  • Vanilla Extract (this isn’t necessary but it makes it smell super yummy!)

Mix a tablespoon of sugar with enough honey (or coconut oil) to make it stick together. This isn’t necesary, but if you add vanilla extract it will smell amazing. Rub a little bit of this on your lips every day and they will be super soft! 

Baby Oil

Baby oil makes the absolute best eye-makeup remover. My friend Sydney showed me this trick and I will never go back to buying makeup wipes again. Just put some oil on a tissue and wipe away! There are no extra chemicals and it won’t hurt your eyes. Also, it’s only 99 cents!

Coffee Scrub

Want to get rid of pesky cellulite? Try a coffee scrub.

Cellulite happens to everyone, there’s just no way around it. But there is a way to make it less noticeable…with coffee! The caffeine wakes up your skin, making it tighter. Here’s what you’ll need:

• 1 Cup coffee grounds
  • 6 Tablespoons coconut oil (I told you the uses were endless)
  • 3 Tablespoons sea salt (or regular salt)
  • A jar to keep it in

Mix the ingredients together and keep it in cute a jar. In the shower, scrub all the mixture all over your body, then rinse! After a few uses your skin will be tighter and more alive!

Nicole is a senior at Auburn University majoring in journalism with a minor in marketing. She is a Campus Corespondent (CC) for Auburn's chapter. She enjoys long walks to class, fine wines and cheeses and spending time with her cat. Nicole can most likely be found at a music festival or in her bed. There are no inbetweens.