Bad Boy Bieber

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

It seems like celebrity breakdowns are a cycle that never ends. From Britney to Lindsey, Amanda to Miley, and now Justin Bieber, fame can lead to an out-of-control spiral. Sadly, we can’t say we didn’t see this one coming. But the rate at which Canadian pop sensation Justin Bieber is slipping is frightful whether you love him or hate him.

I will freely admit that I am a Belieber. Yes, I saw his film Never Say Never. Yes, I bought a poster for $5 at Wal-Mart my freshman year. And yes, I looked into buying tickets for his “Believe” tour last year. But in light of recent events I can’t say I’m happily riding the Bieber bus any longer. What started out as stupid teenage boy behavior has turned detrimental and I can’t help but feel sorry for the Biebs.

Ever since Justin was snubbed at the 2012 Grammy’s, things have turned sour for the superstar. First it was just infractions with law of several nations regarding marijuana usage on his tour bus. He even got into trouble with German authorities for trying to bring his pet monkey on a plane, which he subsequently abandoned. But then Justin was called out for inappropriate behavior towards fans, cancelling shows last minute, showing up for his concerts hours late, and spitting on the girls beneath the balcony of his hotel room (though I scarily doubt any of them minded). Then multiple videos surfaced of Justin partying with prostitutes in hotel rooms, getting into altercations with paparazzi, and speeding at over 100 miles an hour through his neighborhood and Los Angeles freeways. He kept apologizing for his indiscretions and even promised he wouldn’t do them again on his episode of SNL. 

His music career was starting to do a little better with the successful release of the will.i.am. collaboration, “That Power”. Justin was putting out teasers of songs off his new album and getting back to work planning his music videos.  Amidst more marijuana violations, Justin was spotted out in public with ex-girlfriend Selena Gomez. For a while it seemed like JBiebs was getting his life back together but then he announced after Christmas that he was officially retiring from music. But his imperfect world really came crashing down last week.

On January 23rd, Justin was arrested in Miami on suspicion of a DUI, resisting arrest, and driving with an expired license. It was announced yesterday that toxicology reports proved THC, the main ingredient in marijuana, and traces of Alprazolam, which is found in Xanax. He has pled guilty to his charges in Miami, but on Wednesday was slapped with criminal assault charges in Toronto for assaulting a limo driver back in December.

To make matters even more embarrassing, Justin Bieber was fined $25,000 for being caught…um, taking care of his “urges”, if you catch my drift, in his cell. He was only there for about eight hours. You think he would’ve known how much trouble he was in and decided to keep it in his pants.  

So only time will tell what happens to Justin Bieber. Even his level of celebrity can’t save him from the consequences of a DUI conviction at just 19 years old.  The White House is currently looking at a petition signed by the American public to have Bieber deported back to Canada, something that might be more than a little drastic. I really do feel sorry for Justin, and can’t help but wonder where his God-fearing mother is while her son gallivants around with prostitutes and pot. 

Rep ImageImage 1Gif 1Gif 2Image 2