priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash

5 Quotes to Get You Through the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Mid-semester is here. Early alert grades have been posted. The excitement of your new classes has worn off, and your schedule is starting to feel repetitive and mundane. It can be hard to find ways to remain positive this part of the semester, but negativity only makes it harder. Here are a few words of advice and motivation to get you through these next two months.

1 . When you’re over all of your classes and just ready to graduate…

“Happiness isn’t on the road to anything. Happiness is the road.” -Bob Dylan

So often we get into this mentality that we need to rush through college, so that we can graduate and get the job that will finally make us happy. You attend school on the best campus in the whole world! Try to enjoy being a college student while it lasts. It is 100 percent possible to be happy right now –you don’t have to wait until graduation before you can “finally” be happy.

2. When you have lost the ability to wake up in time for your 8 a.m…

“When you arise in the morning think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive –to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love…” -Marcus Aurelius

It’s a beautiful day and a beautiful life; don’t resent your mornings just because you can’t sleep in late. You are so lucky to be alive and to be here and to do everything you’re about to do. There are people out there who wish they were in your place right now, who didn’t get accepted or couldn’t afford tuition. 

3. When you fail your midterm and your whole day is ruined

“No matter the amount of negativity you’re presented with, 5 minutes from now could be your best moment.” -Dylan Smith

I am a firm believer that something better is always waiting around the corner. When something terrible happens, a door for something wonderful opens. Try not to dwell in retrospect, but look forward to new possibilities.

4. When the cute boy you sit next to in bio still hasn’t asked for your number, and you’re about to give up on love altogether…

“To find someone you love, you gotta be someone you love.” -Nada Surf

Instead of worrying about finding your husband, focus on loving yourself first. If you’re disgusted by the way you feel about yourself, then any boy you try to seriously pursue is probably going to notice. Don’t let your happiness depend on your relationship status. If you’re in a relationship, but you’re still unhappy with yourself, you haven’t won the battle yet. Focus on yourself a little bit this semester –the boys in next semester’s classes will be impressed.

5. When your Early Alert grades make you want to crawl up in a cave and never come out…

“Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, then it’s not the end.” -John Lennon

You’re going to make mistakes this semester, you’re going to make mistakes next semester, and you will make mistakes the rest of your life. You got through those mistakes. It’s only mid-semester… it isn’t too late to give it your best effort and pull out a decent grade.