10 Tips to Successfully Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

So you’ve decided to study abroad? Good for you! Studying abroad is one of the best opportunities any student in college may get, and if utilized correctly, it may be one of the best decisions you will ever make. Preparing for your trip may be stressful, and sometimes you may forget something important. Here are 10 tips to help relieve you of any problems.

• Plan your trips as soon as possible. The earlier you book your flight(s), the less it costs.
  • Research the country you’re going to visit so that you aren’t in the dark when discussing with your new friends.
  • Make a comprehensive list of all the items you would need before you travel. Also, take note of the weather, so you can pack appropriate clothing.
  • Maps! Maps!! Maps!!! Learn how to read a map and find your way around without GPS navigation system or your phone. Trust me, it’s a lot safer.
  • Scan and make photocopies of important documents such as passports, letter of acceptance from the school, visas and any other document you find important.
  • Say yes to every (legal and safe) opportunity you get. Sometimes the opportunity may sound stupid or silly, but when you take the opportunity, you will find other people who think the same—that’s how you make new friends and buddies.
  • Have fun with the people you actually meet to reduce the nostalgia.
  • Take lots and lots of pictures. Try keeping a journal about your trip for memories.
  • Make sure you go to class. After all, that’s what you paid for!
  • Stay well informed about the country you’re visiting. Do proper investigation about the local laws, legal system and culture of the country.