Your Mind is a Liar

Posted -
Tagged

I recently went over this website while surfing the internet and I was immediately convinced that I’ve been lying to myself for the nineteen years of my life because I allowed my mind to build up these fake walls because I’m too interested in living life comfortably, with little to no change whatsoever. It gives fourteen things that your mind lies to you about and I’m going to tell you why I agree with it.

1. I can’t do it.  The thing with this one is that you can do it. You can honestly do whatever you push yourself to do but too many times, we settle for what we know we can do and don’t try to push our abilities and that’s one of the saddest things ever. We need to know our full potential and we’ll never find out by saying that we can’t do something.
  2. He/she can do it, but that doesn’t apply to me. We need to stop comparing ourselves to others. We need to stop saying that only other people can play the piano and I can’t because I wasn’t gifted with that ability. Everyone has amazing talents and skills and abilities and we just don’t accredit ourselves enough for that.
  3. I need my ___. Coffee… I’m just kidding. I feel like the world gets so addicted to everything and it’s like it’s hard to picture us without our addictions but at one point in our lives, we lived without that addiction and we just need to understand that our addictions all reside in our heads and we can drop them easily if we decide to.
  4. Life is meant to be enjoyed. I can agree with this saying just like everyone else but it isn’t meant to be enjoyed when we are either harming our bodies or forcing people to harm theirs. People generally say that life is meant to be enjoyed when we over-indulge or decide that we should get extremely drunk at a party and quite frankly, life should be enjoyed even when you’re just sitting on a couch eating carrot slices. Not just when you need justification for your actions.
  5. I need comfort.  You really don’t need comfort. You need to be your own person. You need to be your own shoulder to cry on. You shouldn’t become so dependent on other people because they won’t be around forever and you need to love yourself more than other people love you.
  6. I don’t know how. People aren’t always born with greatness. Some of them have to learn how to achieve greatness. Enough said. Learn.
  7. I can do it later. This is the worst. Procrastination is literally THE WORST thing in the world because typically, “later” never comes and by the time that you remember that you were supposed to do something later, it’s too late. Rule of thumb: if you’re working on work or homework or anything like that, don’t stop until it’s all done or else you’ll just never finish it. Breaks are good but don’t let breaks into quitting your homework.
  8. One time won’t hurt. This saying is usually used when you need to convince yourself to try something for the first time and if you really need convincing, don’t do it. Don’t try smoking a cigarette for the first time if you have to sit there and say “trying it won’t hurt” because it will hurt and your one time will turn into a more than one situation.
  9. I don’t feel like it. Everyone gets lazy and everyone wants to give themselves a break but you should ignore the urge to say this if you have to go to something that’s important. If you have a mandatory class or a mandatory assignment that needs to be done, then you should do it. You need to stop convincing yourself that this excuse is actually truthful or meaningful because all it is saying is that you’re a lazy individual.
  10. I’m tired. I know for a fact that you don’t say that you are tired if you truly are tired. You usually say “I’m tired” when you haven’t done anything that day or you’re just too lazy to do something. I feel like when people say that they’re tired, they’re either extremely bored or extremely lazy. Either way, it isn’t a good thing. If you feel like you’re tired, do something to reenergize yourself. Go workout. Go paint something. Get out in the world and stop wasting your days.
  11. I deserve a reward/break. You don’t need gratification of what you do in life. You can self-reward if you feel fit but you don’t really deserve one. There is always room for improvement and I guess that you could say that I’m being harsh but I’m just being honest. I’m not a settler, I’m an achiever. I believe in achieving something greater than what I am and if it takes working harder or working longer then I am willing to take that risk, instead of sitting back and watching other people do what I want to do.
  12. Wouldn’t it be nice to stop? Wouldn’t it be so simple to just up and quit something or leave it behind when it was no longer serving you? How convenient would that be? Well, it’s simple and easy and you can quit or walk away from anything or anyone that is no longer serving you at any chance that you get. You don’t owe anybody a reason. You don’ t owe yourself an explanation. You can quit whatever habit, relationship, situation, etc., that is no longer serving you.
  13. The result you’re going for isn’t important. This is ridiculous. We all know that the result you’re aiming for is extremely important. You want an A on that test, that’s why you studied. You work out 6 out of the 7 days of the week because you want the rock-hard abs. Once we really start acknowledging why we do the things that we do, it makes all of them worth more in the end.
  14. I’m afraid. Everyone is afraid of something of course but we all need to take risks and face our fears. If you’re afraid to talk to that girl in your English class, compliment her shoes. If you’re afraid of heights, go up to the top of the Chase Tower and realize that your fear is insignificant. A lot of the fears that people have solely form because the outcomes are unknown. Once we understand that it doesn’t really matter what the outcome is, our fear becomes irrelevant.

If you noticed, all of the things your mind lies to you about are excuses. You shouldn’t limit yourself to the potential that you already possess. You need to work harder and achieve greatness. Don’t let your mind be the limit.

Excerpts taken from: https://zenhabits.net/bs/

About The Author

A Freshmen at Arizona State. Extremely blessed to be where I'm at, doing what I am doing.

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login