Top 8 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Prematurely Celebrate Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Christmas lights, Santa statues in the stores, holiday music blaring, commercials about going home for the holiday; everywhere you look you are reminded that it’s Christmas time! Oh, wait, it’s still the first week of November?

Slow down, Christmas, you will have your day. However, we still have a month and a half  to celebrate, and another major holiday in between. So, here are the top eight reasons why we should not prematurely celebrate Christmas:

1. You will spend more money. The stores know that if they put out their themed merchandise earlier, they will make more money in total. Do not fall victim to the trap of shiny tinsel, sparkly lights, and themed socks.
  1. Candy corn, also known as candy from the divine, is still available for only a limited time. Capitalize on this opportunity.
  1. Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Pumpkin pie, need I say more? Plus, Santa will ride out in his sleigh at the end of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. How can we possibly celebrate Christmas before Santa gets here?
  1. Two words: Black Friday. If standing in line for hours and fighting through stores overcrowded with people doesn’t kill the holiday buzz, I don’t know what does.
  1. ASU takes on U of A at the end of the month. As the biggest rivalry in the state prepares for kickoff, many people prepare for game-watching parties and tailgating. If you have already decorated for Christmas, this means thousands of broken ornaments, a lopsided tree, and if you’re really unlucky, a Christmas candle display setting your home ablaze.
  1. The beginning of November is the time of year Arizonans look forward to and brag about. The weather is beautiful and perfect for playing a game of pick-up basketball, not spending it inside pretending that it’s December.
  1. Fall clothes can only be worn for a very short period of time in our desert climate. Cherish the time when you can show off your fall fashions before jumping right in to Christmas ones. That ugly sweater really is ugly.
  1. There are only so many times you can listen to “Last Christmas” by Wham before you go crazy.
Corina is a current junior at Arizona State University, studying Journalism and Human Communication. She enjoys writing, sports, reading, and spending time with her lionhead rabbit, Dusty.
Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.