This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Last year, I had the pleasure of attending the 2017 Women’s March in downtown Los Angeles. I was so overwhelmed by the amount of love, diversity, and respect everyone had at the march. Truly, I was a part of making history and to think that this was an event that my kids would be reading about in history textbooks years from now, meant the world to me.

So this year, I dragged my roommate, Meredith, (who did not attend the Women’s March last year), to attend the 2018 Women’s March in downtown Phoenix. In honor of her first time, I asked her a few questions regarding what she thought about the march. 

What was your favourite part of the Women’s March?  

My favourite part of the Women’s March was seeing so many people standing together in solidarity. Having so many people with similar views in one spot made me feel so empowered! Also, since there were so many people at the march, I got to hear many different viewpoints which was great. For example, one of the speakers was a Muslim woman who talked about issues that affect Muslim women who wear hijabs here in the U.S. Hers and the other speaker’s stories were eye-opening and they reminded people to respect and honor our brothers and sisters.

What is one thing that surprised you most about the march?  

What surprised me the most was the turnout. I live near New York City so Phoenix is really small in comparison. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the amazing turnout!

Favorite sign?  

(Meredith’s favourite sign that read, “Lil bitch, you can’t fuck with me.” The designer of the poster said she used play on words from Cardi B’s song, “Bodak Yellow.”)

What do you wish to see happen in the women’s rights movement in 2018? Civil rights in general?

I definitely want to see women having equal pay in 2018. Also, I’m hoping for the number of sexual assaults to go down! Lastly, I want to see more white women protecting their POC sisters because they walk a very different path than we do and they deserve better. Of course, there are many things that I hope to see this year but those are my main three.

Advice to those who wish to go next year or didn’t go this year?

The number of times that you feel like you’re making history are limited. In 2019, go and support your fellow Americans by marching! It’s a lot of fun, you meet tons of new people, there are cool signs, and you are a part of making history!

(Meredith’s sign that read, “No More Cheeto Dust On Our White House.”)

How did you come up with your poster idea?

In the days leading up to the march, I kept trying to think of a really clever poster design. But that’s easier said than done. Finally, at midnight I came up with the idea while eating my pizza rolls. No more Cheeto dust on our white house!

Was it worth waking up early to go?

Anyone who’s met me knows that I treasure my sleep. But waking up at 7:30 was a small price to pay for an event as meaningful as this! I can’t thank my friends enough for encouraging me to march on Sunday. I’m so glad I went and I can’t wait to go next year! I plan on flying to NYC for the 2019 march!

(Meredith and her friend, Kaela, smiling at the 2018 Women’s March in Downtown Phoenix.) 

Kathleen Leslie is a freshman at Arizona State University, studying political science and communications. She was born in August, (a typical Leo), in Chicago, Illinois but has since moved all over the world. Though, she considers Australia and Orange County, California, her home. Kathleen is a part of the 'I Am That Girl' club on ASU's campus and in addition, works as a communications aide for ASU. In her free time, she likes to shop, sail and hang out with friends, (hoping it always involves something with food). Kathleen Leslie is also the current campus correspondent for Her Campus ASU.