I went to a Hillary Clinton rally after I voted

Posted -

I attended my first political rally purely because it was 2 blocks from my dorm. 

At the time, I had already voted and mailed in my ballot, and was purely there to feel the hype.

Standing in line on the other side of campus, I could already hear the protesters and see the far away blurs of their signs. There was something buzzing in the air, and that's coming from someone who has no invested interest in any political candidate. Being at a presidential candidate's rally for me was most interesting because of the people there. Obviously there were other Arizona State students like me, but still there were families or couples from the area. 

Speaking to people was a whole different ballgame. There are the die-hard political activists and there were those just spitting campaign slogans back at you, right in your face and then there were thos like myself and the people I was with, just waiting and watching. 

The opening speakers for Clinton were doing their best to speak of Arizona's and Maricopa county's specific Democratic nominees, but I think the general vibe of the twenty thousand people there was simply 'Where's Hillary?' 

At one point a news helicopter circled overhead, and a woman next to me in the crowded mosh pit that surrounded the podium said "Whouldn't it be really cool if she parachuted down from that helicopter like a superhero?" Trying to not laugh, I nodded. There was something almost manic about the way the crowds and reporters were behaving. There was awe and hype and al those other energy charged buzzwords but there was also somehow a sense of importance. 

The pomp and circumstance on our humble (albiet large and quite appropriatly acclaimed) campus was as much apart of the energy as was "Hillary is at my school".

In retrospect there was so much I wish to have documented about the circumstance. Speaking to a classmate of mine, we both remember the night with sore feet (standing for nearly 4 hours in line and in-venue) but nostalgia. I have several blurry photos of people on the podium but none that are clear enough to distinguish who is who or what I'm even photograhing. 

I'll leave on the following note: Every election is important, from the small-town Mayor to the President of the United States, but you have to really look at politics from a neutral stand point when evaluating a candidate. Listen to them speak, look a their track record and then vote. I feel a more educated voter after my experience, and that education hopefully made me a better citizen. 

About The Author

Emily recently transferred to Arizona State university after hurting her knee playing college volleyball at another school. She is studying Sports Managment, and finds it hilarious when people are surprised a woman is studying that. She dreams of becoming a sports agent and earning a paycheck that helps her not stress about the cost of guacamole at Chipotle. Her best friends are her dogs because they don't judge her when she sings Tom Petty songs and dances while cleaning.

Folow her blog here, her instagram is @embrunda, her twitter handle is also @Embrunda.