This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

This past Earth Day, I was looking up ways to help save and protect the earth and one of the recommendations was to thrift shop. Now, I have thrift shopped before, but do not go as much as I necessarily should. Really there is not much difference between a second hand clothing if it is quality and one bought new. The only thing with thrift shopping is, it takes time to find what you are looking for. My goal was to find a summer outfit.

So I went to my local Goodwill store. If you have never been to Goodwill before, it is a nonprofit organization that you can either donate or buy from. With some searching I found a cute lace white top and some flowy native print shorts. These both were very quality and the total cost was seven dollars!

I know there is a lot of stigma around thrift shopping but this needs to change. Because thrift shopping is the same as going to a retail store. I encourage everyone to try it out at least once and give it a chance. You will save money and be making a donation at the same time. Take a friend, go on a search, and maybe you will find something that you love.

Hello, I am currently a student at Arizona State University. Working towards a major in Political Science and I'm minoring in American Indian Studies and Communciation. I love the outdoors, sports, shopping, and hanging out with friends and family. Instagram- shaniya_decker
Kathleen Leslie is a freshman at Arizona State University, studying political science and communications. She was born in August, (a typical Leo), in Chicago, Illinois but has since moved all over the world. Though, she considers Australia and Orange County, California, her home. Kathleen is a part of the 'I Am That Girl' club on ASU's campus and in addition, works as a communications aide for ASU. In her free time, she likes to shop, sail and hang out with friends, (hoping it always involves something with food). Kathleen Leslie is also the current campus correspondent for Her Campus ASU.