The Eyes of Beauty: A Lesson on Viewing Beauty in a Different Lens

Posted -

What does it mean to be beautiful? In modern America, our perception of beauty has aimed to make up for a rather degrading history by redefining itself. While the intention was pure, the result has not been entirely successful. Why? Because it disempowers another form of stereotyped beauty; a previous belief in what the word once meant. One that was considered the true definition of its’ time. Through this, a reversal takes place, and we end up back at square one.

The truth is that beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, and this serves to suggest that society should not have a say in ‘who’s who’ and ‘what’s what’ when it comes to beauty. There is a strong sense of defiance in the nature of modern judgement, specifically in regard to physical appearance, which backs the belief that we all must agree.

Today in America this common misconception has arguably created a realm for insecurity to thrive, multiply, and bring anger to our people. In an attempt to reassure each body type, skin color and personality, society remains the leading source that defines these terms of beauty. Why? BECAUSE WE ASK IT TO. 

The unfortunate truth of the matter is that we have been seeking the wrong solution for a very long time. We have adopted into our culture the mentality of forcing our own opinions on others and demanding they feel the same. Aside from many other issues we face as a whole, this is something that has caused many to stop at nothing for society’s stamp of approval.

The good news is that we can still save ourselves. Just like in anything, the first part of the problem is realizing that there is one. We can stop ourselves from swimming further into the depths of our insecurities, and instead, to a place of genuine love for ourselves. We can stop the cycle, but only if we teach ourselves to stop basing beauty on what society approves or disapproves of, regardless of its positive or negative reflection on you. By removing the stress of it altogether, the damage it causes can finally be put to an end.

Who wouldn’t love to live in an environment that does not stress a dire need to prove the worth of its’ people?

Let’s be honest, it is exhausting. Not to mention that at the end of the day, it is something so minuscule in comparison to the many other things going on in the world; things that would be much more worthwhile to spend time on.

My question is not why, but what? What inclines us to throw our appearances into the fire and hope they do not burn? Why do we desire social immortality more than our own happiness?

The truth is, I can’t answer that, and maybe it is all part of being human. But I beg to differ. We have to change our minds, and those changes have to stick. We must back them with good reason. And luckily for us, we have many good reasons.

I truly believe that collectively humans can be more than this. As a whole, there isn’t anything we can’t change. Only then will humanity be defined for what it is and should be: the gentle, warming spirit with a power strong enough to influence people across oceans and centuries of time.

It is often times the things we try so hard to regulate that end up being those same things that are even more beautiful when untouched.

So I ask you again, what does it mean to be beautiful? You could probably think of a million different things, but those are your own, and they are pleasing to your own heart. The fact of the matter is that no one can get inside of your heart, and in some ways, all of our definitions are wrong simply because none of them are right.

My challenge for anyone reading this is to take a look at all of the beautiful things about you. Not the things that anyone else has told you to think or believe, but the things that you have believed to be beautiful entirely on your own; things that are not subject to society’s approval, but to your own heart instead. 

That is freedom.

About The Author

~Worry less, travel more, and do what makes your soul happy~