timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Climate Change: Listen to Scientists, Not Politicians

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Climate change in the United States has become an increasingly political issue. President Trump’s frequent commentary on the matter has made it a hot topic in American politics. One’s political stance is a strong indicator of their thoughts on climate change: whether it’s real, whether it’s caused by humans and whether we should prioritize the environment or the economy. However, climate change does not belong in political debates but rather, scientific ones. Study after study has observed increasing temperature of our atmosphere and oceans, and the evidence is hard to ignore.

According to independent analyses by NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, “Earth’s 2016 surface temperatures were the warmest since modern recordkeeping began in 1880.” Additionally, they found that “It is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability), to be the result of human activity.” 

Although many factors play into the warming of the atmosphere and oceans, NASA also declared that, “There is no question that increased levels of greenhouse gases must cause the Earth to warm in response.” The increased levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, most notably CO2, are a direct result of human activity. Scientists agree that the planet is warming at an unnatural rate and are nearly certain that human activity is to blame. We cannot afford to debate climate change any longer: action must be taken now to preserve the Earth for us and future generations. 

The harmful effects of climate change are hard to ignore and are already being felt around the world. From rising sea levels to increased frequency and severity of natural disasters to species extinction, these factors are only expected to increase. NASA scientists have agreed that there is a better than 95% chance that the Earth’s rising temperature and its associated effects on the environment are a direct result of human activity, mainly through greenhouse gas emissions. Choosing to ignore the facts to protect your ego and current lifestyle is no longer an option. By reducing our reliance on animal agriculture and fossil fuels we can reduce the toxic levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and begin returning our planet to its natural temperature and state. 

Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women. 
Kathleen Leslie is a freshman at Arizona State University, studying political science and communications. She was born in August, (a typical Leo), in Chicago, Illinois but has since moved all over the world. Though, she considers Australia and Orange County, California, her home. Kathleen is a part of the 'I Am That Girl' club on ASU's campus and in addition, works as a communications aide for ASU. In her free time, she likes to shop, sail and hang out with friends, (hoping it always involves something with food). Kathleen Leslie is also the current campus correspondent for Her Campus ASU.