Campus Cutie: Emily Brunda

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.
Name: Emily Brunda
Major: Sports and Media Studies
Graduation year: 2018 

What events led to you choosing your major? 
I took a sports management class in high school as an elective and fell in love with the business side of sports. The agents calling the shots and making the important decisions was fascinating to me. My teacher played football for the New England Patriots. He really thought I could do some amazing things and was encouraging and supportive. I knew I had found my passion once my father and I were walking around Heinz Field (where the Steelers play) and we opened the wrong door and walked accidentally into a skybox. I instantly thought, “Okay, how can I be up here for the rest of my life?” It was empty, there was no game going on,  but the view was amazing. I knew I wanted to go to college and be involved with athletes and the view at Heinz field just showed me I could have it all if I was willing to work for it. 

Why did you choose ASU to pursue that?
Originally I didn’t. I changed my major and pursued DII volleyball in New York, putting my education on the back burner. The smaller school didn’t have sports management or anything similar so I compromised by choosing business communications. I loved volleyball enough to change everything for it. Now that I don’t play anymore, I can go to a bigger school I can study what I wanted to all along. 

If money and skills weren’t an issue, what major would you pursue instead? 
To be honest, I think I would study law. Not all lawyers are the soul-sucking evil parasites that people seem to think they are. I would want to be some sort of lawyer that defended victims of domestic abuse, and I think I would have some sort of program to help newly divorced mothers get back on their feet. But of course, I’d coach volleyball as a hobby, I swear I can’t let that sport go. 

What extra curricular activities do you do? 
I write for my blog and I write for Her Campus ASU! I also coached volleyball, but right now we’re in off season. 

What got you interested in it?
When I tore my ACL in the fall of last year I felt disconnected to the volleyball world. I loved the community, and felt alone back in Arizona away from all my friends. I started a blog to really just put my thoughts out there but in a creative way. I found Her Campus when I joined their blogger network, and the rest is history.

What do you do to stay sane during finals? 
Really strong coffee and my dogs. They hide under my desk and keep my toes warm when I study. 

How do you organize? 
Highlighters, Sticky notes and note cards. To be honest, I’m not really a organized person, but studying with color coordination works really well with me. 

What are you most looking forward to next semester?
Oh I can’t wait until next semester, I’m hoping to branch out in my writing and put out some fictional pieces. I’m hoping to also start reading for fun again as soon as I get some spare time.
I am a sophomore pursuing a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University