This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Our very own Trisha Mukherjee from Ashoka has won a gold at an International competition bagging Ashoka’s first international gold making us very proud of her.

1. When did you start learning rifle shooting?

I learned shooting at my school and junior college, Fr.Agnel School. Rifle shooting was a new sport and was introduced in our school during the summer vacations of 2012. After realizing I sucked at all other sports, I decided to give rifle shooting a shot (no pun intended). I was just 12 years old when I first held a rifle.

2. What about the sport do you find interesting?

Rifle shooting is a sport which requires a lot of balance, control and building connections.  One needs to distribute their body weight to properly balance the rifle. You have to control your breath for every shot. The fact that there are many small details that I have to pay attention to each time to hit the bull’s eye makes the sports challenging and interesting for me. There is also a special connection that you build with your weapon over time. The feeling of being in the zone feels amazing.

3. How long do you practice rifle shooting every week?

I practice for 2-3 hours for 6 days a week. I also meditate for 30 minutes and spend 1 hour at the gym.

4. How did you first become interested in shooting?

When I first started the sport, in my summer camp, I was the youngest one and ended up doing really bad compared to my peers. But later with every tournament, I practiced hard, not really thinking about the outcome. Slowly, I started enjoying it.

5. What else do you do at Ashoka? What are you studying?

To be honest, I can’t take part in a lot of other things at Ashoka. My time is spent either traveling for matches, attending classes, completing assignments or at the sports bloc for shooting practice. I love trekking though.

I am planning to major in Psychology as I want to be a sports psychologist, or just generally work in a field related to sports. My minor will probably be English or Environmental Studies.

6. Why did you choose Ashoka?

I wanted a college which would allow me to pursue studies as well as sports. All the other colleges I applied to were either completely focused on studies and not sports, or focused on sports to the detriment of academics. After learning about both the great faculty and encouragement given to those pursuing sports, I decided on Ashoka.

7. What is your favorite subject at Ashoka?

This semester I have taken a course with Professor Abir Bazaz, Literature and the World. It’s my favourite course. Last semester I loved Environmental Studies. I don’t really have a specific subject that I like.

8. How do you plan to further your shooting career?

Rifle Shooting is a really competitive sport but has always brought in medals at the Olympics. I am planning to continue with this sport and make it my professional career.

9. Tell us more about the international competitions you’ve participated in.

This was my third international tournament. Before this, I had represented India in the Asian AirGun Championship held in China and Iran in 2012 and 2013 where I won a team bronze and team gold respectively.

The tournament I participated in recently was the World University Shooting Competition, which was held at Malaysia. 28 countries, including India, participated. I represented India in the Women’s 10m Air Rifle event where we won a team gold.

10. What is your motto? What motivates you to shoot?

Find what you love, enjoy doing it and dedicate yourself to it. The feeling of being connected and enjoying the process keeps me motivated to shoot.

11. What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?

There are a lot of challenges you have to face when making the decision to pursue sports.

• Balancing Sports and studies: Growing up in a country where studies are given more importance, it is tough to choose to make a career in sports. I was lucky enough to have supportive parents who always believed in me and let me follow my heart. Still, it was a difficult journey–all my friends decided to choose careers in the sciences while I was undecided on what I want to do. My only advice would be not to run a race that you don’t want to run. Even if others are choosing it. Find a path that you believe you are well suited to. I truly believe sports and studies can go hand in hand. It will be difficult but can be done.
  • Being Independent: I had to become independent at the age of 13. I started traveling alone for my matches. It was not possible for my father to accompany me to the tournaments as he is the breadwinner of the family, and my mother had to take care of my brother. I am so glad they trusted me and let me travel alone which made me independent and mature at a very young age. It was difficult and scary sometimes to manage all my luggage, and sometimes I’d end up taking the wrong routes, but in the end, I did reach my destination.

Edited by Gauri Jhangiani

All images are the courtesy of Trisha Mukherjee ​​

I am an Economics Major at Ashoka University. I love to travel and explore different cultures and traditions. Writing has been my passion because language is very powerful and plays an important role in impacting lives.