UA Females Find Ways to Impact Politics While Pursuing Alternative Careers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Isabel Johns was born in Monterrey Mexico before moving to Potomac Md. While Savana Sasser’s first recollection of political awareness began during early childhood when her father took her to a political rally in Tucson Ariz. where she grew up.

Sasser and Johns do not agree with their political views. However, they both understand the importance of political expression.

They are expressing their political views to show women that they can and should feel free to do the same. However, we, at Her Campus Arizona, does not endorse any particular views.

When Johns’, a UA junior who studies political science and French. Upon graduation, she plans on going to law school. Johns the president of the Young Democratic Socialists of America(YDSA) club at UA.

Johns explained the purpose of the YDSA.

“If we get a collation of people together that represent people who are oppressed by capitalism. We can move American politics to the left,” Johns said.

Johns explained that her father is her biggest influence politically. She also sees Potomac’s proximity to Washington as a reason why she became familiar with politics.

“Politics has always permeated my life but I was not always a leftist,” Johns said.

Johns says the United States current government structure makes it difficult for the public to pay off their expenses.

“I would not say that I am oppressed by capitalism but society as a whole is. When you work several jobs and still cannot make enough money to pay rent because {for example} your boss does not want to sell their third yacht,” Johns said.

Johns says leading a university political organization is as far as she wants to go with politics. She worked on Doug Gansler’s campaign when he ran for governor of Maryland. The process was not what she had hoped it would be.

“Sometimes it {the process of a campaign) is kind of manipulative,” Johns said.

In October 2016, Johns attended a Bernie Sanders rally at UA. Sanders was campaigning for the Democratic presidential candidate, Hilary Clinton. Johns calls Sanders an “inspiring politician.”

However, Johns did not attend the rally to fully support Clinton.

“She was the lesser evil for {when compared to} Trump,” Johns said.

If Johns could change anything about today’s political landscape she would make Medicare free for everyone because it is a “human right.” She adds that the American health care system does not match those in other western countries. In Johns’ eyes, the United States puts money above anything else.

One priority for Johns and the YDSA is to protest the contributions made by entrepreneurs Charles and David Koch who are also political activists. Johns says that a class offered at UA entitled “morals of wealth creation” is “justifying their extreme wealth.”

{The Koch brothers allow} capitalism to manifest and justify itself on campus,” Johns said.

Johns believes a large portion of the UA student body does not know about the Koch brothers.

“It has been quiet for a reason. They don’t want people to know about the influence of money on our campus,” Johns said.

At the time of publication, Koch Industries Incorporated nor Davis Schmidtz, the director of the Center for the Philosophy of Freedom a building the Koch brothers contributed financially to have responded to Her Campus requests for comment.

Savana Sasser is a UA freshman who studies criminal justice. Similar to Johns, Sasser wants to attend law school. However, she is considering a career in politics after law school and taking time to work in the peace corps.

Unlike Johns, Sasser does not yet identify with a political party. Regardless of her party, she thinks law school will prepare her for the future.

“Law school will give me a grasp of my environment and critical thinking skills,” Sasser said.

Sasser encourages women considering a personal endeavor or career in politics to do so with “compassion” in mind.

Suzanne Dovi is an associate professor at the school of government and public policy at UA. She says that female students who are considering a career in politics face challenges due to social trends in American culture. She adds that women pursuing a political career must be able to accept criticism related to their gender.

“Women face a lot of hatred when they give any public opinion,” Dovi said.

Dayne DiSesa

Arizona '19

Dayne DiSesa is a senior at the University of Arizona. She is double majoring in Gender and Women Studies and Creative Writing, and working on fulfilling her life long dream of becoming a social worker. Dayne is a proud owner of two guinea pigs (Buritos and Dorritios), 20 dreamcatchers, and a car she named after Betty White. You can follow her on instagram: @sunflowersanddaynishes.