The Single Girl’s Guide to Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Single for Valentine’s Day? Whether this is routine or your first year, it doesn’t have to end with a torn heart piñata and a list of reasons why you hate Valentine’s Day. The root of Valentine’s Day is not just for the average couple. Valentine’s Day is a celebration of us. Us can be any interpersonal relationship you are grateful for. It doesn’t have to be a man. Has your mom been there for you? Does she deserve some love? Of course! Valentine’s Day can be a great reminder to your parents that you love them. For those of us in college, that usually means sending a card. So what else can you do? Grab the girls of course! There are plenty of opportunities to have a great Valentine’s Day and feel loved.

“Movies with friends are always fun and make for a cheap night!” said Lexi Sutter, a journalism junior. “Go get dinner, have a drink or two, and celebrate life!” Valentine’s Day brings a sappy unnecessary stigma to it. There is no need to listen to sad love songs and complain to everyone you know you’re single. With all situations, make the best with what you have. If you have great friendships celebrate the love they bring. Who knows going out with your friends with an optimistic attitude may bring you a valentine in the end! “Drink cocktails with your girls by the Jacuzzi!” said creative writing senior Courtney Benke.

Since the love infused holiday falls on a Monday this year, use the day to do something productive. We always refer to v-day as a nighttime thing but really it is a whole day. “Take the girls to a brunch at a cute little boutique type restaurant.” said psychology senior Morgan Scofes. “Finish off the afternoon with wine tasting.” When in doubt follow all options with a little shopping therapy. As women, we naturally can’t help but improve our appearance and widen our closets. It must be somewhere in our DNA.

If you are feeling like laying low for the night, then invite the chickas over for some romantic comedies and bake your little hearts out! Valentine’s day is a holiday and therefore all diets should be placed on hold. Baking is not only tasty and fun but passes the time. Next thing you know, you’ll be snoozing with a plate of half eaten cookies by your couch. Plus, by staying in you bypass the stress of outfit selections and the tedious hair and make-up sessions. School bright and early? Maybe this option is for you.

No matter what you choose to do this year, if anything at all, have a great Valentine’s Day and know that the ladies of Hercampus Arizona love you and thank you for your continued support! <3

Yael Schusterman is a journalism senior at the University of Arizona. She has freelanced for half a dozen publications and is ready to transition from a print to an online focus. She maintains a permanent residence in New Jersey and her goal is to live in Manhattan. The AP wire has picked up one of her stories, "Theft at gallery yields sale to help artists," as member enterprise while working for The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson. She looks forward to working with the Her Campus Team and spreading awareness on the UA campus.