Setting an Old Trend in the New Age

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Name: Monica Wolfe
Hometown: Phoenix, Ariz.
Year: Junior
Major: English

HC: How did you get involved with modeling?
Monica: When I was younger, I told my mom that I wanted to be a model. She took me to an audition at an agency, where the spokesperson tried to make us pay a ridiculous amount for modeling classes and headshot fees. I left the audition feeling like I’d been scammed. After that, I kept my distance from modeling until recently. I was looking for a job to help pay my bills, and found a “Model Needed” ad on craigslist, so I decided to give it a shot.

HC: What’s the name of the line you model?
Monica: The company I model for, called Old Age Vintage, doesn’t actually sell a new clothing line. They collect original vintage clothing anywhere from the 50s to the 80s, and as long as it’s still in good condition, they sell it on their online shop.

HC: How long have you been working for them?
Monica: I had my first shoot with Old Age in March of this year, and since then we’ve done three shoots.

HC: What’s your favorite part about this business?
Monica: Who doesn’t like being paid to try on cute clothes and get their picture taken? I guess that’s my favorite part of modeling, in general. My favorite thing about modeling for Old Age, specifically, is that they don’t sell new clothes. I love that they’ve spent the time to hunt down vintage clothing that’s still in good shape and still fashionable by today’s standards. I like that there’s a history behind everything that they sell, so it’s not like I’m just helping promote lifeless material objects.

HC: Do you model for fun or is it a potential career move for the future? 
Monica: I do enjoy modeling, but honestly, right now my main reason for modeling is that I need money If it happened to turn into a career, I obviously wouldn’t mind at all, but I’d rather channel my time and effort towards finding a career that is grounded in intellect rather than appearance.

Be sure to check out Old Age Vintage at www.oldage.etsy.com.

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.
Yael Schusterman is a journalism senior at the University of Arizona. She has freelanced for half a dozen publications and is ready to transition from a print to an online focus. She maintains a permanent residence in New Jersey and her goal is to live in Manhattan. The AP wire has picked up one of her stories, "Theft at gallery yields sale to help artists," as member enterprise while working for The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson. She looks forward to working with the Her Campus Team and spreading awareness on the UA campus.