Searching for Prince Charming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

He took our breath away in “The Notebook” and now Ryan Gosling has melted even more hearts in his recent film, “Blue Valentine.” Could he get any hotter? In the movie when Gosling first meets his leading lady, Michelle Williams, he says something to his co-worker that many of us don’t realize or think about:

“I feel like men are more romantic than women. When we get married we marry one girl because we’re resistant the whole way until we meet one girl and we think ‘I’d be an idiot if I didn’t marry this girl, she’s so great.’ But it seems like girls get to a place where they just kind of pick the best option. I mean they spend their whole life looking for Prince Charming and then they marry the guy who’s got a good job and is going to stick around.”

Gosling points out one way women feel pressured in life. We growup believing there is “the perfect guy” and spend forever trying to fit different men in that image…but why? That’s absolutely exhausting and like Gosling says, women eventually give up and just settle down with a guy who will do because of pressure to marry within a certain amount of time. The pressure can come from family, friends, or the biological ticking clock since it only gets harder for women to reproduce as they get older.

On the other hand, Gosling states that guys don’t marry unless they couldn’t live without someone. Romantic, right? Most don’t give into the pressure that comes along with Valentine’s day, the media and society in general. So who cares if you’re single on V-day? If you believe in fate, you would agree you are single because that great guy is coming…and he will not be Mr. Perfect because Ken Barbie dolls are not real. He will be perfect for you and that is something to look forward to and make the wait worthwhile.

So if you do have a valentine for Feb. 14, you’re one lucky girl.  But if you don’t, use this day of love and tell your friends, family, and other dear people in your life how much you love them and appreciate the special relationships you share.

Photograph By Allison Mullally © 2011 

Yael Schusterman is a journalism senior at the University of Arizona. She has freelanced for half a dozen publications and is ready to transition from a print to an online focus. She maintains a permanent residence in New Jersey and her goal is to live in Manhattan. The AP wire has picked up one of her stories, "Theft at gallery yields sale to help artists," as member enterprise while working for The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson. She looks forward to working with the Her Campus Team and spreading awareness on the UA campus.