Relax Your Mind and Get a Flat Tummy in 8 Minutes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Now that midterms and spring break is over, it’s back to school but that doesn’t mean you have to go back to pulling your hair out and stress eating! Yoga is an exercise that brings peace to the mind and body and doesn’t that sound like a vacation in itself? Over spring break many students went out to eat or enjoyed their mom’s home cooked meals (what a treat!) but for some that’s left more fat in their bellies. Don’t let spring break ruin your incredible figure; get back in the routine and out in just 8 minutes! Here are five yoga moves that’ll flatten that tummy:

Boat Pulses

Sit on the floor with knees close to chest while intertwining your fingers and bringing your arms in front of you. Find your center or balance and take deep breathes. When you inhale, straighten your legs and bring them back during exhale. Keep your back straight and feel the strength in your core. Do this 5 times.

Rock the Boat

Inhale and repeat the move above, Boat Pulses then lie on your back on the floor and arms are over your head. Exhale while outlining your torso with your arms and bring your torso up back into the first position. Keep your spine long and neck high. Do this 5 times.

One Hip Twist

Go back into Boat Pulses position your fingertips behind you and facing your bottom. Inhale while lengthening your legs and put your weight by rolling onto your right hip only and the left hip lifts up gently. Exhale and twist your chest, shoulders and head to the opposite direction (hip that’s lifted). Inhale while returning to the center and do the same to the other side. Do both sides 5 times each.

Core Scissor Twists

Lie on your back and lift your head and shoulders with your fingertips gently placed behind your head. Inhale with elbows facing the ceiling and extend your right leg while the left leg is bent (knee towards your chest) and elbows pulled towards the bent leg (left). Exhale and switch so the left is now extended. Do this 3-5 times each.

Hands and Knees Core Plank

Feet together, bend over and touch your toes and walk hands out (spread shoulder length) to align with shoulders comfortably. Inhale while lifting your right leg to the knee or as high as you can bring it, bring your hips up and flex the foot on the floor. Exhale and return your foot to the floor. Repeat this with the left leg. Do this 3-5 times each.

Yoga takes a great deal of patience but don’t get frustrated if some of these moves are difficult for you. These exercises will stretch you out and make you more flexible (as well as test it). Really try to relax your mind and body because you need both to concentrate on your core and spine. Doing these exercises for 8 minutes every day will get you to that smokin’ stomach just in time for summer!