This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

To most students college is a series of late nights studying for finance exams, skipping breakfast to catch an hour of sleep and doing it all over again for a different class a week later. College is also striking the balance between a healthy social life and discovery of lifetime friends. College parties are often popular topics on campus and are what eager high school seniors can’t wait to experience. But college parties, much like any large group gatherings are not immune to potential dangers. Drinking, sexual assault, and DUIs are a part of college just as much as they are part of the real world. To better illustrate how colleges can be a dangerous environment, here are some snapshots of real-life statistics given by the collegedrinkprevention.gov website.

• 1,825 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die from alcohol-related unintentional injuries, including motor vehicle crashes (2009)

• 97,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are victims of alcohol-related sexual assault or date rape

• 31 percent of college students met criteria for a diagnosis of alcohol abuse and 6 percent for a diagnosis of alcohol dependence in the past 12 months     

With most of us in college trying to have a good time and live out our youth how do we know if we are becoming dependent? How do we reach out to someone who we fear is exhibiting signs beyond the social partier? First, school is a good indication. College is about finding that balance, as mentioned before. If grades are slipping as a result of too much going out and drinking, that is a good memo to take it easy. If you notice your friend or roommate is not attending classes or is spending most of each day sleeping and only being active at night, this may be a sign to intervene. “I would offer any help I could and make sure that I am specific and descriptive in talking about their actions with drinking,” said Samantha Oldham, a retail and consumer science senior.

The hardest part is when to approach someone, or even admit to yourself you may have a problem. Ambushing an individual or beating yourself up for failing to recognize you have taken the party scene too far, isn’t going to make the situation better. With that said the sooner you do realize it the sooner you can get help or talk to a resource about your tendencies. College can be an overwhelming time, especially with a substantial amount of freedom to do as we please. However adulthood is a time of growth, maturity and realization. It is up to ourselves to realize we need to take control of our life’s path. Don’t let college be the blame.

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.