Lighten Your Hair Without The Salon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Sun-kissed highlights are a timeless look for spring and summer as the sun begins to show itself again. With just a few cheap, easy items from the grocery store, you can naturally lighten your hair without having to spend $50 at the salon.

A tea party for your hair

Bring out your hair’s natural highlights by steeping four bags of tea in about a gallon of hot water for five minutes. Let the water cool down to room temperature. Then, standing over a sink or in the shower, turn your head upside down so that your hair is flipped over and pour the tea into your hair. Put your hair up (wear a shower cap if you have one) and let the tea soak in your hair for about ten minutes, then rinse, shampoo and condition like you normally would. For brunettes or black hair, use black tea. For blondes: lemon or chamomile. And redheads: red zinger.

Add some flavor with lemon

Although it can be pretty sticky, lemon juice naturally highlights your hair, primarily when exposed to sunlight. Simply squeeze about four lemons to make a cup of lemon juice and mix it with a ¼ cup of water and pour the mixture into a spray bottle. Then, spray the mixture on day old, unwashed hair until hair is damp. From here, it’s all about relaxation. Grab a good book, make yourself a smoothie, and sit in the sun for an hour or so. Be sure to wear SPF (30 is recommended), drink plenty of water, and get up and walk in the shade every so often. After that, shower and thoroughly condition your hair.

You’ll look like a regular beach beauty during spring break.

University of Arizona Journalism major, creative writing minor. I am a style/beauty blogger for Her Campus-Arizona and an arts & life reporter for the Arizona Daily Wildcat. I love pugs, reading, baking, and embracing your natural beauty.