Former Wildcat Reed drafted by Houston Texans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Former defensive standout Brooks Reed is heading to Houston. The Texans drafted him Friday afternoon with the 42nd pick in the NFL draft. Coincidentally, former Wildcat and current New England Patriot Rob Gronkowski was also taken 42nd in last year’s draft.

If you were watching the draft, you’ll notice that the man announcing the pick—not Roger Goodell, but some guy who used to play football and is clearly a big deal because I can’t remember his name—announced Reed as a linebacker, not a defensive end. That’s because Reed is very likely to be used as an outside linebacker in the Texans’ 3-4 defense. For those of you unfamiliar with the game, that means Reed is going to be the guy turning quarterbacks into pancakes.

Nine Wildcats remain undrafted as of Friday afternoon, but only three of them have a slight chance at being picked up before free agency: Ricky Elmore, D’Aundre Reed and Colin Baxter. The remaining draft prospects are: Nic Grigsby (try not to fumble the phone if a team calls you), Adam Grant, Keenyn Crier, Phil Garcia, Conan Amituanai and Joseph Perkins.

Also, for the females who are not especially interested in football for the sport itself, how about a look here:

Hellooo, Nate Solder. This is relevant because, uh, he played at Colorado, which is a new addition to the Pac-12 family, and he is now Gronkowski’s teammate on the Patriots. Or because he is pretty.

Yael Schusterman is a journalism senior at the University of Arizona. She has freelanced for half a dozen publications and is ready to transition from a print to an online focus. She maintains a permanent residence in New Jersey and her goal is to live in Manhattan. The AP wire has picked up one of her stories, "Theft at gallery yields sale to help artists," as member enterprise while working for The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson. She looks forward to working with the Her Campus Team and spreading awareness on the UA campus.